Any lawyers here? Rent help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Girlfriend is living in a house with two terrible women who are constantly harrassing her, making up stuff she has done wrong and accusing her of it, making her life miserable. She's always trying to avoid going home to avoid them, and they make her cry. She wants out.

They drew up a really poor lease for her to sign. It has no sublet clause. I have a copy I can email to anyone who could help here... as best as I can tell, she can sublease to anyone she wants since there is no sublease clause.

She has a room lined up, and had a subtenant ready, but when she broke the news, the roommates threw a fit. They claim that she can't do it without their permission. They don't want this girl to move in, because, get this, "she's in our Christian sorority, and we don't want there to be any drama." The two roommates are in a Christian sorority together, as is this new girl, and so they called her up and told her they don't want her moving in.

Questions:
1: Without a sublease clause, can my girlfriend rent to whomever she wants?
2: Is this a case of illegal discrimination against a member of a religious group?
3: How hard would it be, assuming atleast one of those is a "yes", to get something on official lawyer paper or whatnot, to show to the roommates to get them to stop meddling and let my girlfriend move out?

I am no lawyer, but why not just give up the deposit and move out? Stick them with the mission of finding a replacement.:wink:

Her lease requires her to keep paying every month if she moves out. So it's not just a matter of a $200 deposit, it's also the matter of $400ish x 8...

Im not a lawyer, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

1) How long before the lease expires..?? Three months or less tell your girlfriend to pay her share, BY CHECK, make sure it states." Rent paid in full to end of lease" on the memo line...If it is cashed the terms were accepted...If they rent to another before the lease is out, your girlfriend is entitled to the money back...
2) Walk out, and see if she is sued for her share...She wont owe until the end of the lease as they (the others) must ,mitigate their loss's and attempt to get another roommate..Most courts deem that to be three months plus advertising fees (if any)..
3) Im guessing, she wants to move in with you, then you should pay her rent share !!!

Who actually is the landlord/owner? You writing idicates the roomates drew up a really poor lease. If they do not own the home, who does?

Bottom line, as mentioned by others, getting the 400ish x 8 involves a suit on the part of the party holding the lease.

She could also start acting like a real biatch and get them to throw her out. She would owe them nothing. In fact they might have to pay her. And isn't a Christian sorority an oxymoron. How do they resolve the drunk frat parties and bar crawls. She could also sublet the place to you! That would show em. I can think of all kinds of stuff she can do that is not illegal but would make them ask her to leave. Let's see, buy her a Satanic Bible, have her start leaving condoms in bathroom with hand lotion in em, you go over and leave the toilet seat up (bad aim will help also), have her contact the sorority faculty advisor and report their behavior, They will of course being sorority members lie and deny everything. So she needs to document all of it and make videos, "accidentally" leave her recorder on, etc. She should also tell them they are going straight to hell for being such biatches.

Oh another good one would be to just start slamming doors and stuff at 3 am. I had an problem with a jerk they put me and my one buddy into a condo when I first went to school. He tapped into the phone line and was making loud obnoxious calls at all hours when I was trying to sleep. Did it during finals and that was the last straw. I walked into his room with a 14 inch Bowie knife, grabbed the cord and sliced it into several pieces. He moved out the next day and never said a word.

Who actually is the landlord/owner? You writing idicates the roomates drew up a really poor lease. If they do not own the home, who does?

This seems like an important point to me. If the roommates drew up a lease for your girlfriend does the actual owner know anything about it? If not I would suggest she just leave and tell the roommates where they can stick their "lease"

Sounds like your girlfriends roommates may be subletting without the owners knowledge,in which case they may well be breaking their lease with the owner.......

Back
Top Bottom