Nostradamus quote is a hoax-please read...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Rumor Watch: Terrorist Attacks on U.S.
Part 2: Did Nostradamus Predict the Tragedy?
More of this Feature
• Part 1: Rumor Watch
I have no doubt that some will seriously claim that the 16th-century prophet Nostradamus predicted the World Trade Center and Pentagon attacks in his writings — such claims follow virtually every modern disaster — but one quatrain already being circulated under Nostradamus' name is demonstrably bogus.
Example:
"In the City of God there will be a great thunder,
Two brothers torn apart by Chaos, while the fortress endures, the great leader will succumb",
The third big war will begin when the big city is burning"
- Nostradamus 1654
Unfortunately, Nostradamus died in 1566, so it's rather unlikely he wrote this passage in 1654. It's not to be found in his published oeuvre. It's a hoax.
The verse apparently originated on a Web page entitled "A Critical Analysis of Nostradamus," written several years ago by a student named Neil Marshall. Marshall made up the quatrain to demonstrate — quite ironically, in light of how it is now being misused — that the writings of Nostradamus are so cryptic that they can be interpreted to mean almost anything.
Oh, and of all the possible candidates for a "City of God" in the modern world, shouldn't New York City rate among the least likely?
Two metal birds?
An interesting variant of the faux prophecy was posted in the newsgroup soc.culture.palestine under the heading "They followed his prediction":
In the City of God there will be a great thunder, Two brothers torn apart by Chaos,while the fortress endures, the great leader will succumb''The third big war will begin when the big city is burning'- Nostradamus 1654 ...on the 11 day of the 9 month that...two metal birds would crash into two tall statues...in the new city..and the world will end soon after" "From the book of Nostradamus"

Thank you for your information. I seem to remember something very simular in a old TV show about Nostradamus but I'm not sure how it went.

Thank you for the information.

Chad

Thanks for posting that DD. It gave me shivers to read it earlier. While I don't like being taken as gullible enough to believe it, I am glad that it's a hoax. I'll stash it in my back pocket along with the other urban-myth busters. Do you have a url where you found that info?

thanks!
kate

Thanks detroit diver

Belushi got an email from his boss with something similar and when I read it i was shocked. Now I can tell them it was false...thanks hun -x-

Detroit diver,
Thanks for sharing the Nostradamus quatrain that's circling all over the interent ( I've received 6 seperate emails with it in them) is a hoax. Good work!

lildiver (glenda)

I flipped when I first saw the quote myself. I got the rumor link from another board.

DD,
Thank you. My ex husband also sent me that whole quote.
I love to be able to tell him he is wrong.
:sunny:

Thanks for the first chuckle of the day!!! I needed that!

guilable the UK is....when I told Belushi when he got home he told me it had been in todays newspaper!

Jesus, thats a hoax and a half...maybe newspapers need to research prior to publishing!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom