Death by coconut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
From UniSciNews: :tree:

Falling Coconuts Kill More People Than Shark Attacks

"Falling coconuts kill 150 people worldwide each year, 15 times the number of fatalities attributable to sharks," said George Burgess, Director of the University of Florida's International Shark Attack File and a noted shark researcher.
"The reality is that, on the list of potential dangers encountered in aquatic recreation, sharks are right at the bottom of the list," said Burgess who was one of three scientists participating Tuesday in a National Sea Grant College Program and NOAA Fisheries sponsored press briefing on sharks and the risks of shark attacks at the National Press Club.

The event served to put the risk of shark attacks in perspective, provide resources on how to reduce the chance of a shark encounter, explain the scientific value of sharks to the coastal ecosystem and discuss fisheries management and conservation issues.

:sharky: Believe it or not...

Quite true... when I dove Fiji and Thailand I was warned about this by trhe dive operators I dove with. Had one fall quite too close for comfort. Will take my bicycle helmut next time!

Dr. Bill

I really get tired of all of the hype over sharks. They certainly get a bad rap in the media. We definately do more harm to them than the other way around.

more people are killed by deer each year than any other animal. Of course most of those involve deer coming through windshields of cars.
(anecdotal information, no hard data on hand)

Wristshot

Good time to look at real statistics. What's the 'real' chance of most of you getting killed by a coconut? Zero, unless they completely destroy the 2nd amendment, and gangs decide to 'go coconut,' and start hurling husks; the people who are at risk are a small group of people that hang out around coconut trees.
What's the chance of most landlocked people getting killed by a shark? Just about zero, since they are almost never in the seas.
What's the chance of you, a diver/spearfisherman getting killed by a shark? Only a very very small percentage of people are in the water regularly, like EWE ~Z

after moped accidents coconuts are the second leading cause of death among young people in koh tau, thailand.

Good one docmartin!!!! I have lived in Koh Tao for 10 years. I know of a few coconut accidents in that time but never a death. Quite a few motorbike accidents though. Most all involving drunk driving.

When I lived in the Philippines I was lieing on my lounger in the front yard. The phone rang and I went into answer and to refresh my beverage. I heard a loud WHAM! in the front yard. A limb from the coconut tree had fallen and literally cut my lounger in half.

I - for one - believe that coconuts are deadly!

Death by Coconut

If this happens to me, it's going on my tombstone.

Between mopeds, sharks, and coconuts, you'd think the world isn't safe and you'd be better off living in a bubble.

Screw that! :monkeydan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom