Plastic Hull Repair DIY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zeN||

Reaction score
Monkeying around with a hobie Cat plastic boat, repairing a hull crack, wanted to find a repair method I could do besides plastic welding, most sources suggest there isn't much that will stick to polyethylene (which is what I think this hull is), but testing some general purpose fiberglass/resin and Bondo w fiberglass seems to stick like Monika's stain, anybody else try fiberglass on plastic, and your results? thanx zeN

...I have done a repair to a plastic hull. Had a Old Town Discovery 17 a lot of years ago, that I bought from a canoe outfitter, that was pretty well used. There was a bad rub on the stern, where the canoe had been hauled out of the river countless times. I bought a kevlar skidplate kit from the paddlers store and installed it myself. The kit used polyester resin and to prep the site of the repair, I used a blow torch. To help the resin stick, I was told to take a blow torch and just 'kiss' the area with the tip of the flame. This would line clean the surface and help get it in shape for the resin. Be careful to not get it so hot it will melt. Then, using polyester resin, I placed the kevlar matt in place and waited for everything to dry. Worked like a champ! Used to haul the boat across a paved parking lot, dragging it on the skid plate, with no damage.

Hope this is a little help...

Thanx Tom, still researching this method of repair for plastic, but I had a hard time grinding the stuff (resin/fiberglass, Bondo) down, it aint coming off:) thanx zeN

anybody looking to fix that type of plastic, I have your answer,go to your local bodyshop and tell them what you are doing,they SHOULD direct you to use the repair epxoy for hi-impact plastic bumpers,its easy to use,its waterproof and pretty much idiot proof.Just some advise from an OOOOOLLLLLLDD bodyman!! it'll work,I promise!!

I have owned a polyethylene canoe since the early 80's a few years ago it developed a few cracks I was told it couldn't be fixed. last fall I found a web site bullseyetradingpost.com that has a very good repair kit at a resonable price bought it followed the directions, no torhing the area to be repaired, no outrageous fumes, not difficult if I can do it anyone can. I have been very happy with it works well. Hope this helps! Now get out there and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom