Any tips to protect your hips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wapyaly

Contributor
Reaction score
I really struggled with a pain of my weight belt during my OW course. I couldn't get the belt done up tight enough to stay around my waist, the weights were too wide, as a result the weight belt dropped onto the tops of my hip bones causing bruising and numbness at the top of my legs. Are there any alternatives i could try. I did see a great beaver 'shot' weight belt, but I understand that you can't hire the shot to fill the belt with. Please help me with this painful problem. (I'm 5'8" and weigh 10 stone approx 65 kilo's:(

It seems to me that the sure cure would be to eliminate the weight belt altogether. Two ways are:

A weight-integrated BC

An over-the-shoulders weight harness

The weight integrated BC & harness are possibilities. Mostly, you may want to consider getting your own weight belt so that it can be properly done up to sit at your waist rather than on your hips.

Shot or pouch belts are a possibility. Contrary to what you might have heard, there are lots of places that can and do rent the shot-filled packets for you to use.

Another alternative is the Seasoft weight belt, which is a single soft belt. However, you have to specify a particular weight. If you need to ADD weight you can always do so in the form of tank, BC or ankle weights. Removing weight, however, isn't possible.

You may also want to consider switching to steel tanks, which will allow you to take some weight off the belt and possibly eliminating the "hip dig".

Good luck!

I had the same problem - and even with soft weights and the pouch belts, I found that my lower back would ache from having the weights pulling down in one spot all the time.

I recently got a weight-integrated BC (the LadyHawk), and I love it. It IS heavy when putting the gear on or carrying it anywhere... but if I have to carry it or put it on from a standing position, I take the weigh pouches out first, then clip them in 1 at a time once the BC is on. (they slide in from the front).

I had this problem too, complete with bruising. After trying different belts, with shot and block I tossed it all for the DUI Weight & Trim System. It's a pretty nifty harness for weighting. They've got a couple different models too. Works great with my drysuit.

I don't like weight integrated BC's. In my opinion it makes the BC to heavy to work with when changing tanks & donning. Plus I've seen too many weight pockets let go at the velcro and drop the weights.

I like donning in steps.

www.dui-online.com

The shot bags definitely help.

Another alternative is a neoprene weight belt. The whole belt is neoprene and is sewn such that it has pockets that can be filled with either hard weights or soft weights. It basically adds 2 layers of neoprene of cushion.

Paula

what you are wearing in the way of exposure protection or how much weight you were wearing but I'll pass on what I do with the comment that I have never had a problem as you describe.

I use a standard web belt with coated block weights. I place the two heaviest weights at the front(just off to the right and left of the buckle. if I need to add weight then it is usually one more block so I put it on the belt so it will be at the center of my back.

With the heaviest weights to the front they are not resting on the iliac crest (hip bone). I also try to use as few blocks as I can get away with so as not to have weights all around me which must then end up on the iliac crest.

If you are new to diving there is good news for you in general. Most divers will relax with increased experience and with that they are able to remove weight from their belt. Even with a thick wetsuit you might well be able to get down to 7 kilos or less.

I have the same problem, bruised hips and pains in my back afer diving with a weight belt. Over the shoulder harnesses are a great way to go. They take the weight off your hips and even go a little way towards helping with your back aswell as the weight is more evenly balanced and supported on your shoulders. There are plenty out there, but the one I particularly like it the Northern Diver harness, You can use either shot or standard lead blocks and in the event that you need to ditch your weights there are two clearly marked handles for the weight pouches so that all you ditch it the weight and not the entire harness like some i've seen :wink:

Weight integrated BC's are just like any other piece of equipment. Maintain and set them up correctly, don't buy a cheapie version, and they will work fine.

Jen had the same problem with bruised hips during our O/W classes. The next weekend we both got top of the line W/I BC's. Between the two of us, we have 7 years and over 1,000 dives, and never had any problem with the weight pouches. This includes cavern dives where the pockets were getting scraped along tight passages.

I tried the DUI harness in my LDS's pool, and thought it was pretty comfortable also. You have to watch what BC you use them with though. Some models cover too much of the harness, and make it very hard to get at the weights to ditch them. Make sure you try it out with your BC first, or buy the harness and BC together.

Either way lose the belt. They're uncomfortable, and your less likely to accidentally drop your weight with either a harness or a good integrated system.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom