Hernia Operation :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am the proud parent of a hernia, how fun is that? I had one when I was 2 or 3, so obviously I dont remember much, but this kind of sucks now.

I just talked with my surgeon yesterday and he told me it is not too bad and that I can schedule the operation anytime, which is good, but it still sucks. That was the 2nd guy I dropped my pants for in less than 4 days.....1st, my regular doc and now the surgeon...I just dont like that ratio. :wink:

Well, I should get it taken care of right away that way I can be ready for a February/March diving trip...

Anyone else have hernia surgery? What was the recovery time?

Jason

I had one repaired earlier this year. It was my one and only surgery so far, in fact. It was kind of neat, just like on tv, I saw the mask coming down, they told me to count backward from ten. I might have made it to nine, I'm not sure.

I felt pretty good afterward. I guess they put drugs right in the incision. By that night I was no longer feeling good. I live on my own, and I remember it took me about 15 minutes to get myself into bed, and I then found it hurt too much to lay flat. It then took my 15 minutes to get out. If you've got someone that can stay with you the first day or so I'd recommend it.

Other than that, it wasn't that bad. I was out of work for about 10 days. After 5 or 6 days you'll be feeling pretty good. I will say that after nine months, I can still tell I had the surgery...overexertion can bring on pressure, and even a little pain sometimes.

Best of luck.

I have had a far more serious surgery than this before, so I am not too concerned over the actual surgery...just the recovery.

I am surprised that you were out of work for 10 days, then again I guess it depends on what you do for a living. I sit on my arse all day and play with servers/routers. :) I am also 26 yrs old. My doc didnt think it would be a big deal...I am more concerned with my gf's well being...know what I mean. :wink:

I want to get this out of the way pretty quickly...the thought of my intestines protruding out is just not a great thought. :chuck:

Well, I really don't think you'll be back in less than a week, desk job or no. Is it inguinal?

jepuskar once bubbled...
I have had a far more serious surgery than this before, so I am not too concerned over the actual surgery...just the recovery.

I am surprised that you were out of work for 10 days, then again I guess it depends on what you do for a living. I sit on my arse all day and play with servers/routers. :) I am also 26 yrs old. My doc didnt think it would be a big deal...I am more concerned with my gf's well being...know what I mean. :wink:

I want to get this out of the way pretty quickly...the thought of my intestines protruding out is just not a great thought. :chuck:

jep

are they going to do this with a laprescope or are they going to slice you open ? as has been said before your going to need someone there for atleast a week before you can move down again. whilei havent had a hernia repaired i have had a resection done and i was kept in the hospital a week for that but it was the end of that week before i could get up and move around again and i was 19 at the time.

one piece of advice if they give you the option of pain killers take something codine based as it will get rid of the pain but not knock you totally out.

Dan

Jepuskar

my b/f just recovered successfully from the same operation. We took it slow....instead of just "gettin our freak on" lol kinda bonded us more..if thats possible .

he is 27...in good heath otherwise...went in with a positive attitude. think that helped a lot.

hopefully your g/f is somewhat the nurturing type....

my b/f and i are dive buddies...so that was a concern for the both of us as well. we have our next diving vacation in the tentative planning stage for early next year.

My best wishes will be with you!

My girlfriend is not the nuturing type.....she told me to not even call her after the surgery because she doesnt want anything to do with me if I cant PERFORM.

WOMEN

:D

jepuskar

if you need a little TLC while your recovering...i am willing to be your nurse...i believe in hands on interaction with my patients..so I hope this is something that you would benefit from...

:kissy:

Umm, 00Scuba....

I wouldn't say things like that, because I am the type of person to take you up on it. I'm serious too! I don't play games....I'll come out to Seattle for a weekend, we can go dive with Uncle Pug, and then spend the rest of the weekend partying.

What do you think?

Jason

Back
Top Bottom