U.S. Coast Guard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
HI!
I'm looking for any first hand information on the United States Coast Guard.
My son is interested in joining when he graduates this May from highschool.
We have the web sites, and the local office numbers.
I'm hoping for some inside stories, and inside advice.
Thank you. This web site has never let me down.
:sunny:

Natasha,
I had a friend years ago who was in trouble all the time. He joined to stay out of Viet Nam and to get away. He ended up loving it , and making a career out of it. If I remember correctly they paid for his education. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Mike

Thanks Mike,
But my son is just the opposite of me. He has never been in trouble. He is on the National Honor Roll Society, and has a 5.2 grade point average because of being in advance classes.
Does the Coast Guard attract 'troubled teens' in your oppinion?
:sunny:

Hi Natasha,

Is your son considering the U.S. Coast Guard Academy here in New England (New London, CT)....? If not, with a record like that he should, although the application process deadlines may be fast approaching (I think the deadline is December 15).

The USCGA is similar to the other military academies in that it is a 4 year college/university. There is a $3,000 "entrance fee", but after that there are no tuition costs (I think cadets also get a monthly stipend). Applicants must meet USCGA's exacting academic and personal background standards to be admitted.

One major difference vs. the other academies is that you DO NOT need a congressional nomination to attend. You apply just like a regular public college or university.

The campus itself is beautiful, right on the Thames river in CT close to Long Island sound.

After graduation, cadets receive an officer's commission in the USCG. If memory serves me, post-graduation assignment choices are given in order of academic achievement (i.e, highest performing cadets get first choice).

Perhaps one of the "coolest" parts of the USCG is that cadets spend summers conducting training exercises at sea aboard the USCG vessel "Eagle", a true tall ship which you may have seen before (see link for pic).
http://www.maritime.org/hnsa-eagle.htm

Courses of study are technically focused, as you might imagine (Engineering, etc.).

Like other military academies, the USCG stresses fitness and athletics, and they have large intercollegiate (Division III) and intramural athletic programs.

I actually wanted to attend the USCG when I was graduating from high school, but couldn't get in. Although they were recruiting me for basketball (I grew up nearby in CT), I guess my hoops abilities weren't enough to offset my B average....;-)

Anyway, hope this helps. See USCGA link below for more data on the application process, etc.

I know this is a big commitment if your son has already decided that he does not want to pursue 4 more years of academics (+ USCG commitment after graduation of 5 years, including 1st 2 on a CG cutter)...however, I think this would be a great experience and education.

And good luck to your son with his choices.

-LD

http://www.cga.edu/

Natasha,

Good choice. Although my active military duty was not with the Coast Guard, I have a great respect for that branch of service.

As you've probably heard from your son, the "Coasties" (as they are affectionatly called) are the national waterbourne equivalent of a combined police, fire and rescue department. To me, and others who have spent time at sea, or on the great lakes, they are 'heroes' in the same sense as our land-based police, fire and rescue departments.

I know personally of two instances where young men who enlisted in the Coast Guard had very positive experiences.

Kevin joined when he finished high school here in Gainesville, Florida. He served on a cutter based out of Miami, and when discharged began working as a deck hand on luxury yachts. Kevin put his CG experience to good use, and worked his way up the ladder. He now has his own 'command', a 400 foot super-yacht based in Europe owned by the CEO of a major software company.

The story of other chap is similar, enlistment right after high school. However, Mark used the GI bill he earned in the CG to go to college, and was commissioned in the CG reserves when he gradutated. He's now a lieutenant aboard a cutter based at nearby Mayport. (Mark is also a first rate scuba instructor, which has nothing to do with this discussion...)

Neither boy was 'troubled' in the sense that Mike implied, or you inquired about. Like your son, both are bright kids. Both were just ready to experience something different than going back to school.

If your son does enlist, I'm sure he'll make you proud. Who knows, he might even end up stationed on the great lakes somewhere! Good luck.

Warren

Thank you so much for all the information. Very helpful. I knew you guys would come through! I'm going to pass it all along to Jordan.
LargeDiver, Yes he is interested in the Academy there. I've always thought that was a fine part of the country to be in. He has always been interested in the milatary. He just always wanted to be an officer. After doing the tour at the Pentagon a few years ago, he was even more hooked.
His councelor at school also said we need to get moving because of the December date. But he also said we do need a letter from our Congressman.
The reason for the last minute decision is because he was all geared up for the Air Force, until he was told his eye site is not good enough to fly planes. He was very disappointed, and somewhat lost for awhle. But I have a good feeling this might work for him.
Thanks again.

Natasha,

I was poking around on the USCGA site while I was writing the first note, and it explicitly states in the application section that you do not need a congressional nomination. This was also the case when I applied almost 20 years ago (now I feel old).

Also -- he can apply on-line. From what I can see, you can work on your application in stages over several days, and admission officials won't be able to see it until you hit the "done" button.

Good luck.....and if he ends up at the USCGA, perhaps we can interest you in some cold water diving out here when you come to visit...? My parents spend their summers on the RI coast, about 20 minutes from the academy campus.....

New London is a nice area -- about equidistant between NYC and Boston in the SE corner of CT close to the RI border.

I sympathize with his air force plight. I wanted to attend the air force academy and be a jet pilot until I grew too big...;-)

-Chris

Chris, {I always wondered what your real name was}
Thanks again for the correct information. Seems the conselor was wrong. {I'm not too surprised}
Jordan went to the site after he read all of this. He was a bit 'stopped' for a moment when they asked what highschool sports teams he was on. He just isn't the jock type, but has always been the reader, more studious type. He is in shape though. He is 6'1" and 165lbs.
By the way just how Large are you, if you don't mind me asking ...?
And do you think this sports thing will be a problem for him?

Hi Natasha,

A few thoughts – sorry for the brain dump, but I thought some of this would be helpful.

I don’t think the sports thing has to be a major issue, but physical fitness is. Jordan just needs to have a willingness to participate in some sort of physical training on a daily basis. The USCGA has a requirement that all cadets participate in either intercollegiate or intramural/club athletics for at least 2/3 of the school year – I think this is more to promote physical fitness and teamwork than anything else. I think there are also some sort of minimal acceptable swimming standards (this is the Coast Guard after all) – again, he doesn’t have to be an Olympic swimmer…just willing to try. Bottom line, if he is already in shape and doesn’t have an issue with participating he’ll be fine (and I’m sure there are a wide range of choices in the intramural program…including the pistol and rifle team, crew, hiking, bowling…..I’m sure he could find something he can have fun participating in – plenty of traditional team sports and non-traditional club-type activities). Not everyone admitted to the academy is some sort of “super jock”. Academic standards are high and there is obviously the need for people with strong records of academic achievement like Jordan.

In a perfect world, I’m sure they would be looking for a well-wounded person who is senior class president, captain of three varsity sports teams and who gets all As in school. In the real world we all live in, they are looking for strong academic records first and foremost. Second, they want some indication that the person can be an effective leader. This is usually indicated via participation in various school activities, whether it’s sports, clubs, etc. But again, they need all types of people and academics is the #1 attribute they look at.

One thing I might suggest is that you try to interact with some Coast Guard folks locally in the Chicago area – this can’t do anything but help. This has 2 benefits – gets you and Jordan more info about what the academy and CG experience are like, and also gets Jordan’s name into the CG network as someone who is interested in the USCGA. The web page below is a link to their volunteer recruiting network page. A few ideas would be to (1) Find local USCGA alumni who would be willing to meet with you; (2) Find parent association members; (3) Potentially talk to military recruiters in your area (these guys may be motivated to meet recruiting quotas and may help you out). I would expect there are Coast Guard installations close by on Lake Michigan, so you should be able to find some local contacts.

Bottom line – personal contact with members of the Coast Guard “network” can’t do anything but help. If Jordan shows the initiative to seek these people out, to demonstrate a strong interest in the academy and discuss his strong candidacy, it will help a lot. I didn’t do this when I was applying and I think it hurt my application. If you can't find info on the web site, I would call the academy admissions office directly and I'm sure they can help you find appropriate local contacts. Alums are always proud of their school (especially the military academies) and are usually MORE than willing to talk about the school and to help you with the application process. Parents association members will be familiar with the application process since they just went through it with their own child, and will be another great resource.

http://www.cga.edu/admiss/volunt.html

Regarding visiting the academy itself – a great idea if you can manage it. I believe they do have interviews, but these are optional.

I hope this is helpful. Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

As to my size: 6’5”

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom