Shark on buffet table -Iberostar Resort - DESPICABLE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This was posted on Facebook and I have no idea how to share the link, so I have cut and pasted the comment and photo here. Wasn't sure which forum to post it in , so mods , please feel free to move it. THis made me feel sick to my stomach. Despicable behaviour. The wording below is from the original poster.

shark.jpg
"This absolutely shameful and disgraceful, diners carving their own shark steak and having it cooked in front of them. This happened at an Iberostar Resort in Tunisia. I hope all divers will take note and never stay in an Iberostar Hotel. Let´s show them how disgraceful this action is. Please share the picture. Boycott the
Iberostar Hotel group. "

Why is this "absolutely shameful and disgraceful"? The diners are apparently eating the shark, it's far better than catching a shark for it's fins. I don't see how this is different to say, eating a beef steak.

And then it got worse....

Tuesday night was anchovy pizza. All those innocent lives snuffed out. Boycott Dominos!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Looks like DIY sushi to me.

But let's not over react. This is all part of the food chain. Except that in our modern society the nasty bits are generally hidden from the most of us. So we are now overly squeamish when we are presented with reality.

Do I eat it? Yes. Do i like it? Yes. Do I want to kill and butcher it myself? No....

Too many people in our modern society to not give any thought to where their food comes from. This is a startling eye opener for many.

Welcome to the real world.

I agree with the fact that we are all part of The Mutual Eating Society and that the killing and consumption of plants or animals for food is generally not only acceptable, but absolutely necessary to sustain life. However, in a situation where a threatened or endangered species is involved or where the target species is caught in a non-sustainable way, I draw the line.

I'd need to know a lot more about what species of shark this is and what its conservation status is before I could respond intelligently. In general I have great concern about sharks due to their significant role in marine ecosystems and the greatly depleted numbers of many species.

I'd be no more and no less concerned if it were a bluefin tuna.

It looks like this practice is no longer being continued... these posts were all over the Iberostar facebook page: IBEROSTAR, we regret that this practice took place in our facilities as it is not in keeping with our philosophy of commitment to and respect for the environment and our natural surroundings. We ask for forgiveness and assure that it does not take place now, nor will it do so in the future. These were one-time initiatives which have been completely disbanded as of 2012.

Not sure I see how it would be good to eat that way. My understanding is that if you're going to eat a shark, it needs to be skinned pretty quickly or it takes on a strong ammonia flavor.

I'm in the "if you're going to eat it, eat all of it" camp.

If it is not an endangered or threatened species then it is fair game for the dinner table. Don't see where that one would be very good for reasons stated above but if it does not go to waste then eat on. :idk:

I don't see the logic of it being disgraceful, how's it different with a pork? They breed on sharks for them to have it cooked, so I guess it's alright for them to do that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom