Haunted Shipwrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jared0425

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got done watching a show on the history channel, and one of the subjects involved haunted shipwrecks. Does anybody have any stories or interest in this subject?

There is a wreck in Lake Ontario named the St. Peter. It lies in 110' of water off Pultneyville (east of Rochester, NY)....

This is from a fellow SB'er, describing it a bit:

............I think what happened is, that the guys that got to it first were making up stories to keep other divers off of it while they dived it every weekend taking whatever they wanted. The story goes that the ship was bound for St Catherines Ont. Weather turned bad and the ship turned around to return to Oswego Harbor. The ship went down off of Pultneyville. The Captain and his wife were clinging to wreckage. She couldn't hang on anymore, said her goodbyes and slipped beneath the waves. The Captain was rescued 5 minutes later. They say the shipwreck is haunted by Martha. The lake is always a little rougher in that spot. dive accidents, equipment failures, and injuries happen more often than they should, divers get bent for no apparent reason, and many get that feeling of the hair on the back of your neck standing and the feeling of someone watching you. I was there once. The Captain was sure he put us on the wreck. when we got down the line there was nothing there and we were dragging the anchor. Divers on the boat said we got blown off because Martha didn't want us there that day......

Haunted? You make the call.....

My dive buddy will not dive on the Hetty Taylor out in Lake MI anymore. He made two attempts and one time could not catch his breath and the other he said it was like his heart stopped beating. Supposedly there were no fatalities in the wreck but he swears there was a stow-away that is haunting it. I dove it with no issues. He is a very experienced diver so who knows what happened on those two dives.

There is a cave I dive that I won't take a certain jump because of what I can best describe as sensory deprivation. The water there even appears darker. Every time I go down that tunnel I will have at least one bout of vertigo and there has been more then one occasion where I know I have felt the guideline be tugged. I have dived it on everything from 21/15 to 17/40 thinking narcosis was the issue and stuff still seems to happen

Daru

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I know both of these wrecks. I have always wanted to dive the St. Peter. I have a few stories of mybown and people I've heard them from. One time latebin the year we were diving the Regina off Lexington. Vis was not that good as is usual for that time of the year and me and my buddy were the first divers down. Our dive plan was to swim up to the bow and try and get into the Focsle area. The Regina is almost completely upside down, so penetration is difficult. We found our way into the bow area and we kept hearing crying and moaning clear as day. We both thought it could not be narcosis because we heard it at the same time. We got out of there and ended our dive.
The second story I have is a pair of wreck hunters in Lake Superior who found a virgin wreck near the Michigan shoreline. They found the wreck in about a 120ft of water sitting bear a ledge that dropped off past 600' ( so they claim). They did a dive on the wreck and said that even the sails and rigging were still there. They anchored off the site for surface interval and then went back down ton explore further. When they got back down, the wreck was gone and no traces could be found. They went back with a side scan and searched the area for a few days even in the deep trench and could not find her. To this day they have not seen that schooner again. This story was also published in a local folklore book.
My third story involves us 2 years ago searching in upper Lake Huron for wrecks. We were out 20-25 miles off of shore in a very thick fog due to cold water and spring air. The fog only allowed us to see 75-100yds and we had our radar set to 12 miles. We were towing the fish when all of a sudden the screen showed a intact schooner, at that moment the fish image went out and we hauled all 600ft of cable back in. While we were working on the fish, I took control of the helm and put it on autopilot. As we drifted through the lake a storm appeared on radar. I took mention of it and kept my eyes open, at the time the storm front hit us, a 1000ft freighter appeared out of the fog and we almost collided with her. The bow wake grabbed us and slammed us into the side of the hull and bounced us back out in the lake like nothing happened. We got the everything back up and running and continued our grid. We finally refound the schooner and still have not dove it to this day.

When the SS Kamploops was first found there were stories of the crew still being on board. It was assumed, due to the depth of almost 300 feet, the divers were heavily narced and imagining it all. It turns out the crew, more or less intact, was still there. IIRC the wreck is written about in this book: Submerged: Adventures of America's Most Elite Underwater Archeology Team: Daniel Lenihan: 9781557045898: Amazon.com: Books. Here is a wiki link about the wreck: SS Kamloops - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

---------- Post added October 25th, 2013 at 08:41 PM ----------

I read somewhere at some time that Cousteau saw some eerie shyte in Lake Tahoe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom