What can you do with a waterbed heater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
After taking a big dose of Nyquil this afternoon to help fight this cold/flu, I laid down to take a nap....and found myself laying on wet bedding! Our 24 year old waterbed finally bit the dust! We had looked at new ones a few months ago and had a good idea what we wanted so we bought another one tonight. They're making them just like regular matresses now...who knew!

2 new heaters come with the package so now we have a perfectly good working waterbed heater I need to find some use for. I can't just throw it away..it still works! :wink:

So what would you do with it. Extra points if it's scuba related.

oh oh oh me me me!!!

convert it to a wetsuit heater.

water and electricity DO mix (and rather well)

:bounce:

H2Andy:
oh oh oh me me me!!!

convert it to a wetsuit heater.

water and electricity DO mix (and rather well)

:bounce:

How would you plug it in at the dive site? Is there such a thing as a 3-prong to cigarette lighter converter? :wink:

Dee,

Sorry I don't have any ideas about your equipment uses, but let me add my condolences that you are not feeling 100%. Don't forget your chicken soup, vitamin C and echinacea along with the Nyquil :biggrin:

Feel better soon!

Perhaps to make a hot rock for a pet ball or reticulated python?

Those things need a good heat sink to make them work right. Perhaps Beast can come up with a home built after dive hot tub, and you cn use it for a heater under the liner?

2" rigid urethane foam and heavy plastic sheeting comes to mind as a starting point, but I'm sure Beast can do better than that given a few days to mull it over.

Make a really nice warm dog bed for your best friend if you have one. If you don't have a dog, then you can use it under plants to keep the roots warm in the wintertime.

Dee:
How would you plug it in at the dive site? Is there such a thing as a 3-prong to cigarette lighter converter? :wink:

i'm more of what you would call an "idea person,"
so i leave all such petty details to others (generally
called "engineers").

I have a 300 watt DC/AC converter in my AWD van (ie: dive buggy; red even).
So on the cool ride to work in non/diving season,I set it ( 100w waterbed heater) on the seat, plug it into the converter, and viola....one hot norwegian!
well ok.. at least some parts not frozen! buy the way. gonna get above zero (F) here today, unless it clouds over......fla in feb. wooo hooo hoooooooooo

Dee,

You know how you go out in the morning and your car is all covered with snow. You start the engine. Start brushing off the snow and it goes down in your boot. The felt liners are sucking up the water as soon as your body heat melts it.

Do what I did. By the back door I made a sheet metal pan. I put a pad type heater the bottom of it. So when any one comes in they put thier snowy boots in the pan. It melts the snow, evaporates the water, humidifies the house, and warms the boots for the next nor'easter.

So thats what you can do with your heater--make it a snow melter. Oh Sorry, you live in Houston. lol (how many more days?) lol

Dee:
No, forget that, bring a generator and make it a BIG one. You wouldn't want it to kick a breaker when it starts the tingly feeling. :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom