Embarrassing gun related incidents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsr30

Contributor
Reaction score
Just saw the embarrassing scuba incident thread and decided to do a gun related one. Tell us of your embarrassing firearm related incidents, like going to the range without ammo, scope bite, etc. I'll start it off:

So, I was playing with my new AK, with the standard wood furniture. If you've got one you know about the nice user friendly trap door in the buttstock. So I try to get the brush out and it wasn't working, so I decided to pull my finger out and reposition it...oh crap, it's stuck! I try to ease it out, but you know there's no pulling back, unless you want to lose your finger. I decide to push it in a little more to make some room to pull it out, nope! The circulation in my finger is cut off and it's hurting now, I'm thiking that I'm going to either have to call an ambulance or go to the ER with an AK-47 hanging on the end of my finger. I don't remember how I did it, but I eventually got it off without having to call 911 and tell them that I need help because I've got a gun stuck on my finger.

Wasn't me, but I took my stewardess diving to shoot a lionfish. Put her on a fish, showed her how to cock and release a pole spear. She hit the coral under the fish. Then she hit the coral over the fish. Then she hit the fish's tail. I was hovering over her right shoulder, so I couldn't figure out what she was doing.I shot the fish, then I decided it was time for more top side practice.
Fast forward a couple of months. I took the crew to the range for firearms practice. I put the AR in her hands after careful instructions how to shoot. I was in the range next to her, watching her fire. Ready, aim, squeeze eyes shut tight, STOP!!! Sweetheart, you have to keep your eyes on the target when you shoot. "Remember that lionfish last summer?" she said. I am not a range instructor, but since she has access to the weapons, we will all be going for range instruction very soon.

My dad had several german WWII pistols and we went shooting at a friend of his farm. I'd shot a lot of pistols but never this particular one. I fired a shot, felt the pain and looked down at my bloody left thumb. The shell cleanly sliced my thumb and I still have about a 3/4 inch scar on the top of my thumb. This gun had a left handed ejection that nobody mentioned to me.

Not paying attention I inserted backwards the bolt assembly for an AR-15. Could not close upper/lower. Took several minutes for me to figure out problem.

Lost grip on recoil spring, etc. whilst reassembling SA 1911A1. Took me an hour to locate the 'spring cover' which locks into place via bushing.

I went duck hunting a few years ago, actually quite a few years ago, with my dad and my brother. My brother and I were teenagers at the time. On the way out to the blind, my brother managed to get some mud plugged into the end of the barrel of his shotgun, without him knowing it. He shot at a duck, and the end of the barrel split into four equal "petals", each one a couple of inches long. My brother was embarrased, my dad was upset with him for ruining the hsotgun barrel, and was upset with me because I thought it was funny.

Ron

Reactions: Jax
Wasn't me, but I took my stewardess diving to shoot a lionfish. Put her on a fish, showed her how to cock and release a pole spear. She hit the coral under the fish. Then she hit the coral over the fish. Then she hit the fish's tail. I was hovering over her right shoulder, so I couldn't figure out what she was doing.I shot the fish, then I decided it was time for more top side practice.
Fast forward a couple of months. I took the crew to the range for firearms practice. I put the AR in her hands after careful instructions how to shoot. I was in the range next to her, watching her fire. Ready, aim, squeeze eyes shut tight, STOP!!! Sweetheart, you have to keep your eyes on the target when you shoot. "Remember that lionfish last summer?" she said. I am not a range instructor, but since she has access to the weapons, we will all be going for range instruction very soon.

You can't hit it if you can't see it.

---------- Post added April 21st, 2014 at 12:09 AM ----------

My dad had several german WWII pistols and we went shooting at a friend of his farm. I'd shot a lot of pistols but never this particular one. I fired a shot, felt the pain and looked down at my bloody left thumb. The shell cleanly sliced my thumb and I still have about a 3/4 inch scar on the top of my thumb. This gun had a left handed ejection that nobody mentioned to me.

Ouch!

---------- Post added April 21st, 2014 at 12:13 AM ----------

Not paying attention I inserted backwards the bolt assembly for an AR-15. Could not close upper/lower. Took several minutes for me to figure out problem.

Lost grip on recoil spring, etc. whilst reassembling SA 1911A1. Took me an hour to locate the 'spring cover' which locks into place via bushing.

Those pesky little springs. I've never built or detail stripped a 1911, but I've built bunches of AR's and the spring that's a major PITA is the detent spring for the front take down pin:cussing::cussing:!!

---------- Post added April 21st, 2014 at 12:14 AM ----------

I went duck hunting a few years ago, actually quite a few years ago, with my dad and my brother. My brother and I were teenagers at the time. On the way out to the blind, my brother managed to get some mud plugged into the end of the barrel of his shotgun, without him knowing it. He shot at a duck, and the end of the barrel split into four equal "petals", each one a couple of inches long. My brother was embarrased, my dad was upset with him for ruining the hsotgun barrel, and was upset with me because I thought it was funny.

Ron

I've seen a buddy's barrel after he forgot a cleaning mop in his, it was pretty crazy looking. If I find the pic I'll post it.

DSC03178.jpg

Here's that pic. He was unharmed.

I've had a pistol "blow up" in my hand, I should post that story here when I get the time.

I was a young fella, maybe 12 or 13. I was allowed all of the guns in the house, and was no longer supervised. Except for Dads 1851 Navy. I wasn't allowed to use the 1851 Navy. Not understanding why, I'd seen it loaded and fired a hundred times. Always one load at a time. That seems too tame for me, so I load all 6 and head for the back yard. Pull the trigger and the damn thing bucked and kicked so hard it flew from my hand. What to do now, I've got 5 more shots to take. I braced myself and fired again. Nothing but the cap, now I have real trouble. I opened the cylinder, and that first shot had blown every second cylinder load out, leaving the other 3 intact. Had any of the other 3 cylinders also fired, I'd have blown up the frame of the gun, causing untold damage to my young hand, with no one home. In any case, I got the other 3 cylinders fired, cleaned that thing for about 2 hours, and put it away.

Nothing was ever said.

I've never built or detail stripped a 1911 ...

I never detail stripped anything; I paid a smithy to do that kinda work, but I have taken apart enough guns for cleaning purposes to really appreciate the simplicity of Glock 17, 22 and 36; HKP7; Browning Hi-Power and SIG 220.

not sure if this was embarrassing but , it was almost deadly , i was at a contra camp in honduras in the 80's.We were with a rather wealthy individual who had a reputation for playing with guns , we were in strategic command with Enrique Bermudas (the leader of the FDN) the rich guy was playing with an ak in the other room (we could hear him ) racking the action and dry firing the weapon , (every time he did it i cringed ) then all of a sudden a 3 round bust came threw the wall , i dove for cover ,he hit the shelf and his shaving kit .(his 2 confirmed kills his razor and tooth brush !!! ) well i was just getting up when the commandanti"s body guards rushed in (Enrique was upstairs in his private room ) ready to grease all the gringos and figure it out later (was tense moments as i somehow grabbed my hi power , which i threw away realllll quick ).......well all survived (except the razor and tooth brush ) and we can laugh now but it was very embarrassing at the time (not the only time he embarrassed us on that trip that's for sure )............i still have the razor ill try to find it and post the "kill"...............

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom