info on St. Augustine Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BUDMANOK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife is looking at St Augustine Florida as a place to relocate to sometime in the next year or so.

for those who live there or have lived there please give me as much info as possible that includes diving opportunities.

Thanks

Unfortunately the last time I was there was in the early 1950s when, as a child, I lived in northern Florida. I'm imagining some things have changed since then. However, I still have very fond memories of Castillo de San Marcos!

Hi,
If all you're concerned about is diving St Augustine is okay. Most of the springs in C Fl are about 2 hours away, and that means fantastic diving. The ocean diving is all off shore a good ways, and are mostly deeper wreck sites. It's about six hours to the keys which is nice.

I am coming to visit St. Augustine next summer (2015).

Do I understand you to say that there is essentially no good diving right at St. Augustine? The springs you speak of -- is this cave diving?

How could I get a pretty good sense of what diving there is around St. Augustine? Maybe call a local dive shop?

Thanks,

Bill

OCEAN DIVING IN St. Augustine:
I know that the spear fishing WAY, WAY, WAY,offshore is OUTSTANDING up there.
If you like to see sharks especially.
The viz is GREAT!
Again, WAY, WAY, WAY, offshore.
I was working in Daytona Beach, Palm Coast, and Jax some years ago, and I dropped into some local dive shops and said......
"Hi. I'm from SoFla, and I'm interested in the salty water diving up here.
What can you tell me about the good diving around here?"
I was then told....
"WELCOME to South Georgia!
Why our best diving is just down that road you came in on as a matter of fact!
Just head back out to I-95, make a left, and go about 300 miles or so south.
When you hit Jupiter, YOU HAVE FOUND WHERE OUR BEST SALTY WATER DIVING STARTS!!

St Augustine has Caves, Springs, cold salty water a lot of the year in the ocean, very few commercial dive operators, and awesome spear fishing in the sea, with sharks, way way, way, offshore.

That's really everything north of Vero Beach.

Chug
Has never doved north of Jupiter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom