Sizing for the Ladyhawk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christie

New
Reaction score
I can not seem to find sizing for the Ladyhawk other than S, M, Ml, L. I would like lbs. or inches for fitting...

As a plus size woman, I have been through the challenging BC search. I can offer a few tidbits....

First, in my opinion fit is the most important issue -- a specific size label or gender designation does not insure it will fit you... it is such an individual thing.

Second, be sure to consider the possibility of using a cummberbun extender. They are available for about $15 or you can make your own. Often, I have found that by going to a larger bc that will fit around the middle, the shoulders then become way too big -- staying smaller and extending the cummberbun can sometimes resolve this.

Third, I really liked the Diva LX, but alas it was not available to fit me. Though everyone I know who owns one loves it.

Fourth, I had one retailer tell me that "they" won't make women's gear in a size "XL" because "women" won't buy something that says "XL" -- I don't agree... but that seems to be an attitude floating around "out there".

Fifth, I have had a number of people recommend a backplate and wing -- I've never tried it, but, again, people who use them seem to love them.

Finally, I recently bought a new bc and I chose a Seaquest Raider. It is a model that bridges the transition between recreational and technical diver, so it has a lot of features. I bought it because of the fit -- it is very adjustable, and very comfortable. It also allows you to move the pockets forward so they are much easier to use. It is weight integrated, although I still prefer to use a weight belt.

Liz

It is a pleasure to meet you, Ladycute1. I have visited the Big Adventures site, but it seemed to appear a few years old. I did not know if Big Adventures was still around. I applaud your "adventure" to provide information and fun for everyone.

OK ladies this is a true story: Several years ago my husband and I were in search of a new BC for me. We stopped in one shop that I'd never been into before - houston, tx as tons of them - and got an odd feeling from the get go - could have been the cigarette smoke choking me. When we asked to see the "ladies bcd's" the owner said that all bcd's were "unisex" (hadn't heard that word since the 70's). When we disagreed with him he kicked us out of his shop!!!!!! Anyway, I have an Oceanic Isla and love it - my husband wants me to try a back plate and wings now though......I do love my Isla and it's getting that "I've been diving for years" look.

Christie:
It is a pleasure to meet you, Ladycute1. I have visited the Big Adventures site, but it seemed to appear a few years old. I did not know if Big Adventures was still around. I applaud your "adventure" to provide information and fun for everyone.

Thanks for the words of support Christie -- and, yes, Big Adventures is alive and well... I just returned from a trip where we certified two new divers and added lots of experience to four already certified divers.

i am short n round.. i have a decor falcon but dont lke it. tried lots of bc's but the one that is the most comfy was the scuba pro glide-- in a mans. ladyhawl didnt get it but the glide fits great.

I have a LadyHawk; I'm 5'5, 122 pounds and the size small is a perfect fit. In the water it doesn't even feel like I'm wearing a BC. The size small would correspond with a size 6-8 clothing size. Hope that helps!

I'm 170cm, 60 kg using 3mm wetsuit. My LadyHawk is size Medium and it's good for me. I tried size Small but it was too tight for me.

Christie:
I can not seem to find sizing for the Ladyhawk other than S, M, Ml, L. I would like lbs. or inches for fitting...

I am about 5'7" and 150 lbs. The medium fits well on me.
The chest strap really snugs it up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom