Venting to get some sleep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jord1990

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
*DISCLAIMER* this will be me talking about my personal life, there will be allot of typos and punctuation mistakes. I'm doing this to get some stuff off my mind so please don't waste your time if you don't like that kind of stuff *DISCLAIMER

Why here ? Well that is because allot of people advised writing stuff down, but I think it's kinda senseless if no-one including me will ever read it again. Again please read the disclaimer and make your choice.

Let me introduce myself. I'm jord currently 17 but will be 18 in less then a month. For the last 3 years I've been struggling very hard. Well let me correct myself there. Actually without knowing I've been struggling since I was born.

9 years before I was born my (Single) mother started to show up on the radar of mental health institutions. She was kept under surveillance closely whilst she was raising my brother and sister.
One of the few things I remember from my fourth year are the visits in the evening from my sister who was 10 years older than me. She would tell me my mother couldn't say goodnight cause she was not feeling too well. Which in hindsight meant my mother was trying to kill herself again. It all ended when one afternoon the police kicked in the front door after my mother had threatened to kill us as well.

After this I was adopted by a loving family who gave me all the love a child needs. Even though I had everything I wanted I was a very angry kid. Not towards others but just angry in general. My grades in were always great, until I went to high school. I went to the hardest but most rewarding high school in town but the unaimed anger and the feeling of injustice would never let me do my home work. I failed the second year and moved to another school.

Don't get me wrong I'm not the anti social kind of guy however I'm afraid of what people think of me. So on the second school I did the second year again and passed but I still didn't do my homework. It was not a conscious choice like I said it gave me a feeling of anger and injustice.

In the middle of second year a friend of the brother that was part of my new family came to me. He told me about a text my brother read over the shoulder of my new father. It contained I miss you so much to a female co-worker of my father. I decided not to believe and if you truly don't want to believe something you just don't then 6 months later I got a text at school from my dad telling me we needed to have a talk. The scary thing was I only get 1 or 2 texts a year from my dad. I left the classroom immediately to go home.

When I arrived only my father was home so I asked if everyone else was alright. He told me that he had been seeing another woman for over 6 months. And before he could say it I said the name of the woman. It was the female co-worker I had known about but didn't believe.
My father left that evening and all I did was trying to get everyone talking to each other again. After they made clear they were gonna give it another go I collapsed.

3 months later we went on summer holiday one of my friends came along and we had an amazing vacation. After the vacation I was ready to go back to school, but in the second week I had a day where I was so tired I just couldn't get out of bed. The next day I would be fine again. The week after the same thing occurred. It kept getting worse one week later it was to days, and so on until I finally stopped going at all.

A lot of people assume when something like this happens the person involved got bullied. Well this wasn't the case here I was enjoying school and wanted to go back, but there was a unknown force keeping inside my house. 60% of the time in bed 39% of the time just in my room and 1% of the time downstairs to get some food.

I always thought the root of my problem was my thinking it would never stop. It's even why I'm on here typing this out trying to silent my mind. The thoughts would make me fearful of the possibilities what people were thinking about me.

I started talking to psychiatrists but the same anger and doubt would always come out. I would never know how I felt or what was causing it. Eventually this led into a depression. I stopped talking to mental healthcare people, I stopped talking to my parents I basically stopped talking to everyone.

Until 8 months later my mom suggested I go scuba dive as I did it once before and I loved. With a fair amount of difficulty she dragged me into the local lds. The people there were really nice and I signed up for my owd. I would lie in bed every day until I went diving. I became addicted it would quiet my mind and even though there was still some fear and doubt it would leave when I entered the water.

Then we had a two week vacation on Malta in which I did 17 dives with great joy and after those two amazing weeks my depression was gone. So I thought
School had decided even I missed 3/4 of the third year I still could move on to the fourth year.

When I came home I was happy and I was gonna make a fresh start in a new school year. Only after 3 days the same thing occurred, but where I went into a depression the last time. I went into a state of just not caring anymore. I would lie in bed all day again not caring if I had dinner or not. Posting on here the stuff I wanted to learn on scuba diving. That is the one thing I continued to do I was still scuba diving until my lds stopped because the water got to cold.

I posted a semi depressed post and got an answer from rob. A long time member of this board who also lives in the Netherlands. He offered to dive with me since we only lived an hour apart. It was a very big trip for me to make as I hadn't left the house since my lds stopped diving, but I decided to do it.

When I got there I was nervous I had to show him my best diving skills which aren't so good. He was a very nice guy and when we arrived at the dive site we talked about what the goals were. I knew it was gonna get cold because I was the only one there crazy enough to dive a wetsuit. This caused me having to cancel the second dive because I just got to cold. To rob himself I've been to busy with my problems to talk to anyone else. How selfish it may sound it's the truth.

We are taking a big going from October 2013 to may 2014 it was mostly lying in bed between those dates. I saw how my problem was hurting my family members so I went to a farm somewhere on the more farmy region of the Netherlands. After six weeks there I came back reborn. The problem wasn't gone but I had new energy to fight it.

The diving season was open again and I asked my lds if I could help. Fortunately they said yes and 1 day a week I was helping divers. The other day I was diving myself. It still left 5 days for me to fill so I went to the local volunteer center and asked if I could do something there.
I applied and didn't get a response. My energy was fading so I decided to go back to the farm for a boost.

After spending 5 days on the farm helping the owners to move I returned to home. I arrived around 11 pm. When I entered the house my father and mother came to greet me, they were obviously intoxicated like they were 30% of the nights. I had given them a speech about it twice already. Since they always get into drunken arguments about my dads affair. Which I can't shut out for some reason. After I said hello to them I joined my brother and his friends on watching a movie since they just started. Little did I know we wouldn't make it past the first 15 minutes.

To understand the severity of what happened you have to put it into perspective. There was allot of chaos in my head at home so I went back to the farm for 5 days. And not 30 minutes after returning I hear my mother screaming in the backyard as she flips the chair my dad is sitting on. She is pushing him abd hitting him softly and I have to break up the fight. Not 30 minutes after I come home from my relaxing week.

We separated their sleeping places or else they would go on all night crying and screaming (drunkenly) but when morning comes they always act like nothing happened. I completely broke down again. I cancelled the diving since the state of mind I was in was not fit to dive. It was back to bed with me.

2 weeks later we had a trip to indonesia and the morning of the flight my mother came into my room. I'm so scared you won't be coming with us on this trip she said. At this point all my unaimed anger was aimed at my parents for putting me back into that position. I packed my bag 3 hours before the flight and she was relieved to see it.

Allot of anger,frustration and fear away from the flight we are in the present. Now what I haven't told you is that after the farm I started to find a path leading towards what the problem was. Once in a while I would find a symptom and try to do something about it. On one of the car rides the problem finally showed itself after 17 years a finally knew what was going on.

If anyone is still reading, you might have noticed the word fear a few times. This is the big problem behind everything ever since I was a child I have been afraid for nearly everything, but most of the times my thinking would override the emotion of fear. But at a price because I didn't know what to do with the fear it would turn into anger. That anger would turn into confusion and that confusion would turn into doubt. Everything is a chain reaction caused by fear.

While this problem was always there it was small and on the background, but when my parents almost divorced. It shook the foundation of my life. And now we are here on Bali with a planned dive tomorrow, but I'm unable to sleep because of worries that are not even worth my time.

If anyone is still reading this, you have some real dedication. It took me 3 hours to type. Again I just typed this to vent so I can go to sleep. If the mods want to delete it because it does not belong on this forum no problem.

Jord

Ditto here. Consider that this is a period in your life not your entire life. At 17, you are reaching an age where you will be free to make your own way and live by your choices, not those of your parents very soon. You can learn much from problems as you can from successes. Your dive class inrtroduced you to the foundation of problem solving (stop, think then act). As I tell my students (especially the younger ones), it works just as well on the surface as underwater. Throughout your life, you will be faced with making decisions (big and small). Think about the outcome of each path as you select a direction for your actions. You know right from wrong. May you always choose the right. As an adult, less than desireable decisions of past, do not require following the same path in the future. Good luck.

I grew up with great parents in a loving family so I have no idea what you are going thru there. On the other hand I do understand some of the trials of life and depression. The teenage years were not a happy time in my life. Much like you, I went to work on the family farm and enjoyed it thoroughly. I learned that physical work either for fun or work has always made me happy. Riding a MTB huffing and puffing up the hills with an exhilarating downhill run, puts a smile on my face. Adrenaline is my drug of choice. Working around the yard, or relaxing and building something from scratch makes me happy. Going for a hike with some friends, is most excellent. I guess mostly what makes me happy is hobbies. Try as many as you can, and do them as often as you can. Being inside is not fun, and there is a world out there waiting for you to explore. There are plenty of new friends to meet and adventures ahead of you, if you choose to do them. It requires reaching out to people and not necessarily asking for help, but asking for a friendship, and with that friendship comes smiles :) Friends are one of the most important things in life, and you have to work at those relationships. "Help enough people and you help yourself".

Scuba is an awesome way to forget everything else in life, and typically it is done with a buddy :D

I didn't grow up in nearly as dysfunctional a situation as you're in, but I did grow up with a largely absent father and alcoholic mother, so I know a little about it.

What I will tell you is that you have the power to be whatever you want. If you want to find a way through this, you can. If you want to spend the rest of your life in bed, you can do that, too. NOTHING can change what has happened to you, but only you can decide what you want to do with those experiences. They can make you stronger or sap your life.

In my family, we have both. I got through school, ended up in med school, married and have had a stable and enjoyable life. My sister married an abusive drunk, quit the only really good job she's ever had, and raised two kids by herself on a shoestring.

You can choose. What you can't do is wallow in the past, or spend time blaming it for who you are, because that doesn't get you anywhere.

Anytime you feel the need to vent, go right ahead. This is a very good place for it.

Whenever things would really get tough for me in my life, I would find it calming to let my mind go to the future, when whatever I was going through was over. I would pretend I was already there, looking back at a time in the past. I sometimes thought of a line from an old Bruce Springsteen song''"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny." For some reason it helped.

You are actually now in a good place for that. You are at an age where things really will change very soon. Keep thinking about the tomorrow you want to have instead of the present you are about to leave. Make sure that you do whatever you can to make that better tomorrow happen the way you want it to.

Can you reconnect with Rob? If you are talking about whom I think you are talking about, he sometimes gets very busy, but I am sure he will be happy to work with you some more whenever he can.

Thank you for the kind reactions, this tactic has worked I don't know if it was because of the venting it the 3 hours of typing. But I like to think it was a bit of both. I still got a good 5 hours of sleep which is ok for my doing.

There a few things I need to add. Even though I live in a dysfunctional family they have always loved me and I loved them back. They are just going through their own problems.

And what was said about helping people is absolutely true, was/still is the way I get the happiest, when I have made someone else smile.

Past but not least now that I finally know where the problem lies I will get psychiatric help again. A fear disorder should be well treatable especially for a person like me that always thinks 3 times about 1 thing. I will stay at home until I reach 18 and then look for the possibility to stay on the farm longer. Do some work get back on my feet again. After this I want to continue my school and choose a job where I can make people happy.

Jord

Thank you for the kind reactions, this tactic has worked I don't know if it was because of the venting it the 3 hours of typing. But I like to think it was a bit of both. I still got a good 5 hours of sleep which is ok for my doing.

There a few things I need to add. Even though I live in a dysfunctional family they have always loved me and I loved them back. They are just going through their own problems.

And what was said about helping people is absolutely true, was/still is the way I get the happiest, when I have made someone else smile.

Past but not least now that I finally know where the problem lies I will get psychiatric help again. A fear disorder should be well treatable especially for a person like me that always thinks 3 times about 1 thing. I will stay at home until I reach 18 and then look for the possibility to stay on the farm longer. Do some work get back on my feet again. After this I want to continue my school and choose a job where I can make people happy.

Jord

That sounds good!

It sounds like you have a very good head on your shoulders. Most of my childhood was filled with screaming between my parents. The only difference between you and I is that I begged my mother to get a divorce in order to have some semblance of a normal life again. Life can be tough and often times it sucks, but as others have said you can choose, no matter how hard it seems, to move your life in whichever direction you decide is best for you. Looking back, I'm sure my childhood was not nearly as bad as others, but I don't look at it as a bad experience. I took everything I had bottled up inside and turned it around. I joke when I say that my parents taught me how not to act or what not to be, but there is a large amount of truth to it. You're on the right path - you've found a couple passions and people who can help you through trying times. Keep your head up and aim to do what makes you happiest. The rest will come together in time. Thanks for sharing your story.

Steve

I am in my 50's now and one thing that always bothered my was how people always told me when I was a teen that these were the best years of my life. What a load of crap. ONce I finished University and (repeat and) landed a good job - I have never looked back - life was so much better.

Best of luck with everything!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom