Woman bit by Bahamian shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wookie

Proud to be a Chaos Muppet
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
They weren't diving, however.

Tourist bitten by shark in Bahamas, flown to South Fla. hospital | News - Home
HOLLYWOOD, Fla. -
A 34-year-old tourist from Dallas was bitten by a shark while swimming off Tahiti Beach on Abaco Island in the Bahamas.

Lacy Webb Martin and her husband were swimming in about eight feet of water during their annual trip to the Bahamas when she said she was bitten by a shark.

"She was so calm that I thought she was kidding," Brit Martin told Local 10 News. "So I swam over there and she pulled herself up on the boat and she was missing half her back."

Quick Clicks

Lacy Webb Martin arrives in South Florida after being bitten by a shark in the Bahamas.
The bite was so severe that Lacy Webb Martin fainted as she was being pulled back on the boat.

"We pulled her up on the boat and just wrapped her in a tourniquet with towels and, luckily, there was a doctor on one of the other boats from New York and she came over and they radioed the medics," Brit Martin said.

Lacy Webb Martin was flown via Trinity Air Ambulance International to South Florida, where she arrived Tuesday night. She was taken to Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood.

Her husband said she remained calm the whole time.

"The doctor said that's what kept her alive," he said.

Lacy Webb Martin will remain at the hospital for at least three weeks. She'll then return to Dallas to undergo extensive cosmetic surgery.

Follow Neki Mohan on Twitter @NekiMohan

Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

Yet another reason why I don't surface swim, snorkel, surf, kayak or sailboard in the ocean. Sorry to hear of this but glad she will make a recovery.

Yet another reason why I don't surface swim, snorkel, surf, kayak or sailboard in the ocean. Sorry to hear of this but glad she will make a recovery.

Damn sharks live there?

Something splashing on surface near shore. Note shark did not stay for a second bite. People must not be that tasty. We have those some times in NC. Especially near shore.

I think the message the public needs to get, is that if there are lots of sharks in the area, any baitfish schooling, or any fishing going on, swimming is foolish.
Snorkeling / Freediving with a big camera is safe for many of us, even with lots of sharks around us, but for the public, even a 3 to 4 foot piece of PVC pipe would go a long way toward creating a separation between a curious shark and themselves--turning life threatening into fun and interesting..

You can't be swimming blindly around a feeding zone...it is just an absence of knowledge about the ocean....you need a mask on an awareness of everything around you--or you should not be in the ocean.
Pretty sure Kayaks are safe in the bahamas, as there are no GW's or seals....Bulls and tigers may test-bite a kayak next to a shark-feeding boat, but no real damage occurs unless you are in an inflatable kayak---which you do not want to be in, next to baiting :) Test bites pop these easily :)

Surfers and kite surfers remind me of Fly fishing, except you are the fly.
And still the public does not have a clue.

Last edited:
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a freaky story!!!!

I do get a little concerned when we do training swims for triathlons off of Daytona Beach, we swim in a group of 8 to 10 plus the coach. I feel pretty safe doing that; however, the few times we saw a fin break the surface near us we head back to shore in a hurry, problem is I'm usually the slowest swimmer :).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom