Ex Miami Dolphin fall off Boat - Swims 9 miles to shore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tekkydiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Former Miami Dolphin Rob Konrad swims 9 miles to safety after falling off boat - Sun Sentinel

Not quite diving but a accident on the water. Former NFL running back falls off his boat and swam 9 miles to shore..... Sorry but this one doesn't pass the stink test. Here's the claim.... 9 miles off shore falls off the boat in rough ocean conditions. After 16 hours in 73 degree water, he shows up at a beach house in his underwear at 4 am.

Anyone else feel their chain being yanked by this tale???

There are some conflicting reports about time in the water. Since he is a big guy, and maybe someone who swam at one point he very well could have made the swim to safety. It will be very interesting when they find his auto-piloted boat.

There are some conflicting reports about time in the water. Since he is a big guy, and maybe someone who swam at one point he very well could have made the swim to safety. It will be very interesting when they find his auto-piloted boat.

That would be quite a swim under the conditions that day (and night)

Here's an update: http://www.newsweek.com/robert-konrads-unbelievable-story-survivalor-just-unbelievable-story-298380

It looks like they're on to him. I don't think it will be to long until his story unravels.

That would be quite a swim under the conditions that day (and night)

Here's an update: http://www.newsweek.com/robert-konrads-unbelievable-story-survivalor-just-unbelievable-story-298380

It looks like they're on to him. I don't think it will be to long until his story unravels.

His story does sound fishy. And I am sure they'll find some sort of weird wrinkle to his story. Hours in the water especially.

That said the English Channel is something like 20 miles long and English waters are anything but warm. I know. Brrrrh. Interestingly enough, part of the standard for swimming the Channel is the absence of true thermal protection. So, conceivably some big guy who can swim + has post-football adipose tissue might be able to negotiate his way back home?

I'm not seeing it. Why is this impossible?

The guy is a professional athlete, the water was not that cold.. If there was an east wind, it may have helped. I like to think I too could swim 9 miles if my life depended on it.

He was a DOLPHIN after all..:D

Yeah, I don't see it as unbelievable. I know of some crazy self rescue scenarios that have played out, and this is NOT the craziest...by far.

Anyone remember the older guy that lost his boat on the gulf side of the lower keys a few years back? Dude survived in the water for over 20 hours. When he finally got far enough inshore, he held on to a crab pot buoy until someone finally spotted him the next day.

Swam for 10 hours, hardly impossible.

Single man in a boat not wearing a life vest, and without an over-board kit attached to his waist (which should include backup cell phone and extra batteries). One phone call to the Coast Guard, a second phone call to his wife, all while calmly floating in the sea eating candy bars and drinking a Gatorade...

Good one!!! A dolphin!!!
I'm not seeing it. Why is this impossible?

The guy is a professional athlete, the water was not that cold.. If there was an east wind, it may have helped. I like to think I too could swim 9 miles if my life depended on it.

He was a DOLPHIN after all..:D

Back
Top Bottom