whale kills person

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having read this version and another itis unclear to me whether the boat deliberately steered close to a whale or whether they were cruising along and a submerged whale suddenly breached right in front of them. Both write ups said they were returning and heading for ports. A whale can appear suddenly and breach. THe second interpretation make is a hard to avoid accident.

Folks walking on wet tiles sometimes slip and fall. Every now and then one bumps their head and dies. There is a small risk to everything.

We were heading back from diving along the southern part of Hawaii's west coast yesterday. The boat was "making time", when suddenly the boat captian stopped both engines, throwing everyone who was not holding on, forward. It was a very sudden stop.

A Humpback surfaced just in front of the boat, she had no time/room to maneuver, so she cut the engines.

They don't "look up, swim up". They do what they want.

Mandatory idle speed for all boats all the time!

The whale did not kill anyone...! :mad:

The poor lady fell overboard and drowned. I'm sorry for her demise, but traveling on a small boat - one should always wear a floatation device and have good control of their presence. Waves and other things happen.

Oh yeah, most divers don't wear a floatation device on moving boats. The picture with one of the stories showed everyone wearing one, but maybe not this time. I do.

It says that she was hit by the tail. So a life vest may or may not have mattered. Allthough I agree with it being a good idea to have one on.

Tragic for all involved but how many of us wear a PFD when on a boat pre/post diving? Locally the operators insist on PFD's for snorkelling trips but I have never seen divers wearing them at home or when travelling.

DandyDon wears one.

Tragic for all involved but how many of us wear a PFD when on a boat pre/post diving? Locally the operators insist on PFD's for snorkelling trips but I have never seen divers wearing them at home or when travelling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom