French shipyard threatens to sell THE Calypso

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a crappy and sordid ending for the ship. I really enjoyed the Cousteau shows and books as a kid.

Sad news. Sounds like repair is cost prohibitive, even to floating museum level, then it would be fitting to clean up & make it an artificial reef for all the divers inspired by Cousteau to dive.

Sad news. Sounds like repair is cost prohibitive, even to floating museum level, then it would be fitting to clean up & make it an artificial reef for all the divers inspired by Cousteau to dive.

True, but you can't charge an admission fee to an artificial reef. The most cost-effective solution is probably to move her where she can be put on blocks (out of the water). She would not have to be made or maintained water-tight, moving her inland away from salt water would save a lot of money, and the real estate costs are less.

Edit: Sad to say it, but if she doesn't float she will probably be scrapped in place at a loss just to get the space back. Not much value in the wood.

The Calypso weighs a lot less than U-505 on display at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.
Museum of Science and Industry | The Exhibit

U505_wide_608.jpg

all this time wasted, money spent :(

a reef is cool and all ... but the original goal of re floating her, refurbishing her with all new engines and electronics ... to continue sailing the worlds oceans, to continue inspiring a whole new generation ...
THAT is a far more fitting end I think

all this time wasted, money spent :(

a reef is cool and all ... but the original goal of re floating her, refurbishing her with all new engines and electronics ... to continue sailing the worlds oceans, to continue inspiring a whole new generation ...
THAT is a far more fitting end I think

This was just a converted coastal ferry that was not very well suited for what they used it for. If you want to inspire a new generation then build a Calypso II and have someone run it who will not blow up a reef just to get a good photo op.

This was just a converted coastal ferry that was not very well suited for what they used it for. If you want to inspire a new generation then build a Calypso II and have someone run it who will not blow up a reef just to get a good photo op.

they had once before...

Alcyone (ship) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

---------- Post added March 14th, 2015 at 09:41 AM ----------

and, actually, Calypso was formerly a British Mine Sweeper...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom