Good OTC drugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coppermaus

Reaction score
Can y'all tell me what your favorite over-the-counter meds are for a head/chest cold? Tried a Nyquil knock-off last night and still didn't get much sleep. I don't usually take drugs for a cold, but not sleeping means my body won't be able to do its natural healing. The Maker's Mark is starting to look promising...

For coughing and congestion, I take Robitussin; for allergies, it's Claritin-D (24 hoiur); I also take Drixoral every now and then for allergies.

Hope that helps.

benadryl for runny nose; robitussin for coughing. aspirin for fever.

coppermaus:
Can y'all tell me what your favorite over-the-counter meds are for a head/chest cold? Tried a Nyquil knock-off last night and still didn't get much sleep. I don't usually take drugs for a cold, but not sleeping means my body won't be able to do its natural healing. The Maker's Mark is starting to look promising...

Stay away anything that says "non-drowsy" or that lists pseudoephedrine as a decongestant. It's infamous for keeping some people awake all night. Unfortunately, I'm one of them.

I recently found Dristan Cold to be a good night time cold medicine. It contains acetaminophen (non-aspiring pain reliever/fever reducer), chlorpheniramine maleate (antihistamine) and pheylephrine HCI (decongestant). It DOES NOT keep me awake.

For the cough, Delsyn: it lasts 12 hours.

FYI, I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. :wink:

SubMariner:
I recently found Dristan Cold to be a good night time cold medicine. It contains acetaminophen (non-aspiring pain reliever/fever reducer), chlorpheniramine maleate (antihistamine) and pheylephrine HCI (decongestant). It DOES NOT keep me awake.
That sounds pretty good. Does it also help you sleep? Or maybe it should be chased with a shot of Maker's? :winky:

H2Andy:
benadryl for runny nose; robitussin for coughing. aspirin for fever.
Robitussin has all those different ratings, like Robitussin B, C, PDQ, XXX - I never know which one applies!

oh it tells you on the box...

they list which symptoms each deals with

coppermaus:
That sounds pretty good. Does it also help you sleep? Or maybe it should be chased with a shot of Maker's? :winky:

You and the Makers Mark, heck I'd say drink the bottle of Mark and go sleep it off. Actually I use TheraFlu whenever I have a cold or flu. It doesn't taste that bad and helps you sleep if you take the night-time formula. The day time formula is good also. Just my 2 cents worth

Paul :bounce:

coppermaus:

Some people find that the antihistamine in it makes them sleepy; it's really a personal tolerance thing. I just know that if I take a couple of chlorpheniramine maleates on their own (for an itchy bite or whatever) they make me very drowsy.

When all else fails... chicken soup & matzoh balls!!!! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom