Scuba Prep Gear Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kosuki

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,
Before I start I am on mobile so, sorry in advance cor any typos.

I am a basic prepper and i am getting into scuba divig once my reduction and reconstruction on my right shoulder is done this late summer. I got to thinking and have some ideas I want to run by everyone.

First and foremost I am fairly knowledgeable about scuba gear as well as SCBA gear through the fire department as I was once a former volunteer at a fire department. now now what I want to discuss is prepping for a natural disaster or a terrorist attack in regards to using your scuba gear as a SCBA gear.

Now in regards to the biological and the nuclear type of attacks that are very well possible through a terrorist organization. in a biological chemical warfare type attack you would need to have a breathing apparatus and a biohazard suit generally a level 2 or level 1 suit. my question for this part is with a scuba gear be compatible to be used in a biological or a chemical attack same as a SCBA bunker gear would be used in the same situation by first responders. Now in cases such as biological and chemical weapons you want to wash the agent off of you and prevent it from touching your skin. in that case what I was thinking would be to wear a dry suit which already is waterproof and pretty close to airtight. for extra security you could wear a level 2 or level 1 biohazard suit over the dry suit and breathing apparatuses. what I was also thinking would be a plus with this system would be you kid jump into water and get out of an area if you had to sit as if you were on a coastline. you could also clean your gear with water such as is the standard for decontamination when you have been exposed to such agents.

I know that 95% of all our departments only use a single tank SCBA system, whereas scuba gear can have more than one tank on the system as well as you could change the tank easier without having a greater risk of being contaminated if you're still within the hot zone and your air supply starts running out. my friend and I who is a member on here that is a diver as well, had mentioned that possibly a rebreather could be used for extended periods of time. I myself am not very familiar with a rebreather type system but I am aware that with a standard scuba gear you really do have to suck kind of hard for the regulator to get the air flow.I don't know how is rebreather would work outside of water, so I am looking for any experts who could tell me how the system without or with a rebreather could work for a emergency prepping type system. now of course the system I am thinking about would include a full face mask with communications system installed at such as well you can have with a full face mask system while scuba diving. I thank you all for your time and if you could please get me back with some information on this I would really appreciate it. The more detailed you can be the better thank you

disclaimer, not familiar with any prepper type stuff, but more knowledgeable than many on gear

rebreather would be a bear because they are expensive and so is training, so there is that.

SCBA you could adapt whatever the appropriate face mask is to a scuba first stage, alternatively you could use a positive pressure FFM. OTS Guardian etc. Doesn't help your face edge around the drysuit though.

Drysuits are pretty much air tight, but have decon issues.

Short answer, buy gear for hazmat diving.
Whites Hazmat PS Drysuit (Public Safety Hazmat Diver) | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
Aga Full Face Mask(positive pressure) - Dive Right in Scuba
etc.
First stage of your choice etc etc. Not cheap though.

Wow.

I was just shaking my head for most of your post. But when you said:

I am aware that with a standard scuba gear you really do have to suck kind of hard for the regulator to get the air flow.

You really have no clue. I think I will stick to my Legend, it is a very easy breather.

As a vet I can only say that any scuba gear is not appropriate for the application that you seek. There is a reason why NBC suits are lined with activated charcoal. Most chemical agents would make short work of any latex/neoprene seals on most dry suits. You would not be able to safely switch tanks while donned without contamination in your breathing apparatus. The hoses would most likely disintegrate if any serious blistering or nerve agents touched them. The weight of the equipment would make your duration on the systems very short and not practical AT ALL.

Go out and find proper nbc gear. If you want it done even half assed, you should not even consider using scuba gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting ideas Kosuki. I never thought of that idea, but deserves some merit. My contention regarding the use of SCUBA during a hazardous atmosphere situation was not intended to be a long-term solution to a man made or natural ‘holocaust’ situation. The haz-mat SCUBA suit was definitely a consideration for this subject. …(.. kinda wished I knew about those suits when diving in some of the places here in North Carolina and Virginia.)

2015.... Zombie thread indeed ..
…I thought about Kosuki mentioning having difficulty breathing with SCUBA and thought that it may need servicing and adjustment to get a good breath. Mine works great with little resistance in and above water with no problems with free flow issues beyond what is normal. …just a ‘thought’…

Have any of you guys run a rebreather on land while actually doing anything?

Get some disposable tyvek suits for exposure, some jugs of dawn soap, and elevated water supplies. A dry suit is too hot, too fragile, too expensive.

There's a practical limit to prepped gear. Scuba gear is for swimming. I dont think it'll help much on land, in any practical way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom