Carbon monoxide in the hotel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This forum is for the discussion of diving Accidents

moved to Non-Diving Related...

This is not directly dive related but as we travel to our dive destination, we stay in the hotel and poor maintenance can happen anywhere. Terrible what happened here:
DA sues Burlingame hotel for carbon monoxide leak that gave pilot brain damage - San Jose Mercury News
Well, there is certainly a CO risk in diving. I wouldn't dive any tank without testing it first. I once turned a boat because the tanks were over 10 ppm, and at other times I have complained over lessor amounts as there should be none. If they let CO in a tank, what else is in there.

I also won't stay in a hotel without a CO alarm. Few hotels have those, but they all have room heaters, water heaters, and more - like the pool heater in this story. Embassy Suites is a nicer hotel chain, isn't it? You can search the news for carbon monoxide any day and find stories that shouldn't happen - with injuries, disabilities, and deaths. It's no big deal to pack a cheap, battery powered CO alarm for any overnight stay anywhere. And since you are not likely to personally inspect the exhaust systems on the planes, buses, taxis, and rental cars - carry in your personal bag and get it out often.

Every home bedroom should have a CO monitor I think, even in all electric homes as there are other possible sources. Out & about and for travels, I got a Sensorcon as a backup to my Analox CO tester, and I just wear it. I look like a geek but who cares.

Some other recent CO stories...

Apartments: Carbon Monoxide Leak Scares Residents

Retail: Colorado Springs Walmart reopens after carbon monoxide forces temporary evacuation

Work: Man dies in carbon monoxide incident in Bourne | Local News - WCVB Home

Fast food: Chimney vent blamed for carbon monoxide that sickened Taco Bell employees - LancasterOnline: Local News

Car: Carbon monoxide kills Kentucky couple having sex in car

Last edited:
seeking 3 million in damages?

that wouldn't even cover his lost wages over the past 14 years.

Back
Top Bottom