SCUBA DIVING and the Shooting Sports.

Do like scuba diving and guns?

• Guns are evil and I would never go near one.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I love diving but could care less about the shooting sports

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Scuba is my number one hobby, but I like shooting.

Votes: 34 37.0%
  • Scuba and Guns: Perfect together!

Votes: 41 44.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pod Diver Radio

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
SCUBA DIVING and the Shooting Sports.

On my podcast, Pod Diver Radio (poddiver.org), I recently mentioned that I am also into guns and the shooting sports. I received email from a listener who was "shocked" that a scuba diver was also into a "violent" activity like firearms. "Scuba is such a peaceful activity, I don't understand how you can also participate in such violence (ie the Shooting Sports)" .

Maybe it is cultural thing? Pod Diver gets 30,000 plus unique downloads a month. About 1/3 of those are from European Divers. European divers may have a different perspective on guns than us "good old boys" in the US of A. I know many of my wreck diving and cave diving brethren also share a passion for the shooting sports. Building and customizing a rebreather is very similar activity to building and customizing an AR-15. While I am not a hunter, I know many divers who are also hunters. Hunters, like divers are the force behind habitat preservation and conservation. It seems a love for the outdoor world is a common thread.

The question; Scuba Diving and Shooting Sports are they compatible hobbies? How many divers do both? How many divers are put off by guns? Is this just a difference between the USA and the rest of the scuba diving world? Comments Please.

I enjoy both. Since I'm landlocked I get to shoot more than I dive. I also enjoy golf. Perhaps the scuba snobs will choose to disassociate themselves from me.

Sent via Galactic Communicator

I dive and also love shooting sports. Skeet/trap shooting is my favorite, followed by distance shooting. All very fun!

Surely a disconnect in thinking.

In scuba diving you have people who enjoy diving and just passively watching the beauty and tranquility below, and you have those who enjoy spearfishing or hunting for lobster or abalone. Similarly, above ground you have those who love walking/kayaking/snowmobiling through nature reserves, and those who like to hunt. The venue is the same, but the activities are remarkably different.

A caller who assumes that everyone likes scuba for the same reason that they like scuba is surely easily corrected.

Submerging your weapon in salt water will triple your post-dive preventative maintenance workload.

I don't consider diving a hobby, but I am into skeet. Used to go to alot of tournaments some years ago. My skeet buddies never understood when I'd skip a shoot to go diving. Besides, I'm heavy into spearfishing.

For me, scuba diving is my first, second and third passion in life. But I REALLY do enjoy shooting and guns. I do not hunt (but I a great respect for hunters). Currently, I enjoy tactical shooting and Freestyle Athletic Shooting. Years ago, before my kids were born I also used to shoot National Match Course. This year, I am looking to do a podcast from Camp Perry " the World Series of the Shooting Sports," One of these days, I am going to get into trap and skeet. Just need more time. :-/

(BTW.... this is an "off-topic" Pod Diver Radio podcast episode that I did from the Great Outdoors Expo, earlier this year. <Listen to Audio File> http://traffic.libsyn.com/poddiver/PD145b.mp3 )

Guns are not allowed in my country for ordinary people. I use a compound bow instead.

Surely a disconnect in thinking.

In scuba diving you have people who enjoy diving and just passively watching the beauty and tranquility below, and you have those who enjoy spearfishing or hunting for lobster or abalone. Similarly, above ground you have those who love walking/kayaking/snowmobiling through nature reserves, and those who like to hunt. The venue is the same, but the activities are remarkably different.

I don't understand how enjoying any one of these activities excludes enjoying any other, regardless of their differences.

Bob
------------------------------
I may be old, but I&#8217;m not dead yet.

i live in Florida, so of course i do both..

Back
Top Bottom