deerags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
a few months ago my dad and i went to a diving convention. there i saw deerags or whatever u call them. anyways, i bought one. does anyone else with long hair have them and if so what are ur thoughts and opinions. thanks

paradisediver:
a few months ago my dad and i went to a diving convention. there i saw deerags or whatever u call them. anyways, i bought one. does anyone else with long hair have them and if so what are ur thoughts and opinions. thanks

Dee is one the boards moderators for the board. She does a lot of posting on the Texas Swamp Divers Forum. Here is her web site http://www.dee-rags.com/ The good looking guy modeling the Dee-Rags is her wonderful hubby. :wink:

Bob3:
.. sleep in one, keeps the hair outta the straps. :wink:

restraining self from making rude comment... must control fingers.....

I bought 2 for my trip to Belize last year. I loved them. Kept the hair out of my face both above and below the water (really great for the boat rides out to the dive site). I would highly suggest making the purchase.

I bought a couple for my wife and I just a few weeks ago. We both love them. It helps keep her hair out of the straps, keeps my hair off my forehead, and just generally looks cool :bravo:

I think a little clarification is in order. Genericly, they are doo or maybe it's dew rags. Similar headgear has been worn by welders and bikers for years. The particular ones made by Dee are Deerags, her name brand for her version of the headgear. And I own 2 of them (both Dee Rags, one of which is an offical SB WMI special) and use them a lot when diving, they do a great job of keeping the hair out of my eyes. Keeps the top of my head from sunburning as well.

I have two and a scubadoo rag as well. They all keep hair out of my eyes.... and out of my mouth and from falling in my food and onto the floor, etc, etc, etc. Actually, they keep the other non-hairy 90% top of my head from getting sunburn.

Just ordered two for our trip to Bonaire ... my last dive with the hair floating in front of my mask threw me over the edge, and it was either shave my head (which wouldn't have gone over well with the hubby :wink: ) or get a DeeRag!!

Wow...how did I miss this thread all day? :crafty:

Herman is right...doo-rags have been popular with welders and bikers for years. Since Beast has been both most of his adult life, I've been making them for him for over 30 years. The current design has gone through a few structual changes. They are made with a deeper crown than most of the others so that it sits low on the forhead, just above the eyebrows, and a wider band so that tying it snugly will hold it on your head regardless of what you're doing. That's the secret to it staying on underwater. So if you have one, whether it's a Dee-Rag or another brand, and you're having trouble keeping it on, try wearing it a bit lower toward your face. It's sort of like stretching a sock over a softball...you have to get it down past the halfway point or it won't stay there. :wink:

Another difference is Dee-Rags are made of 100% cotton which isn't slippery or slick like some that are made from nylon or lycra, it sort of grips your hair/head to help stay in place. You can tie the cotton rag a bit tighter than the nylon and lycra which keeps stretching.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom