Swim Set workouts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
For anyone interested in various swim sets, I found a good site here

Swim Workouts

I have heard, but never researched, that doing drills and sets is a better workout than a straight swim for a set period of time. I know at least for me, I much prefer doing sets than a long straight swim, although I try to alternate between slower distance sets and faster shorter sets. I also notice a marked increase in stamina in strength by doing sets.

Chris

Same thing as intensive training, you work intensely for a little while and then go back to a lesser intensity, then ramp back up etc. I typically do a mile at a time, but try to set a pace with those in the lanes beside me who are doing quicker sets, i would imaging quick sets is better, but i usually on have a little time available to do it in. Try doing (assuming a 25-30yd pool or thereabouts), 2 lengths, rest, 4 lenghts, rest, 8 lenghts, rest, 12 or 16 lengths, rest and ramp back down to 2 lengths with rests. Keep the lengths under a certain time and rests <1min, 30 secs is good for me. I used to do this kind of stuff with a swimming club, and found myself very tired!! Try it with front crawl and then maybe on a smaller scale with breast back and fly (if you can). After a nice long session i usually try to do a good lenght underwater as well with a little dolphin or breaststroke kick.

I've said this befroe, and I'll say it again....technique is more important than jumpin in the water and doing sets.

Get a good technique...then worry about doing some of these swim sets...(I only see one set of workouts in there that incorporates Drill work, and all it says is "storke drills"). Most of these sets (well, intermediate and advanced ones) are designed to give you a decent cardio work out.

Big-t-2538:
I've said this befroe, and I'll say it again....technique is more important than jumpin in the water and doing sets.

Get a good technique...then worry about doing some of these swim sets...(I only see one set of workouts in there that incorporates Drill work, and all it says is "storke drills"). Most of these sets (well, intermediate and advanced ones) are designed to give you a decent cardio work out.

I agree - stroke technique is workedon too little. But I think one stroke drill per workout is sufficient. And I think that technique is much less likely to suffer by swimming in shorter sets rather than one long swim (i.e., at least for me, during long swims when I get really tired the stroke seems to suffer the most, hard to keep up good technique...)

IMHO, YMMV, etc etc etc

Chris

THe problem is most people have horrible techniqe to begin with. They aren't really getting a great workout. Proper technique requires less effort, you get a more balanced workout, and it feels better to be able to say you swam miles that day.

I swam competetively for years and as out of shape as I am, I can fly by anyone I ever see at the pool. Triathaletes included who are in amazing condition.

ChrisM:
I think that technique is much less likely to suffer by swimming in shorter sets rather than one long swim
True...but that doesn't mean that a bad technique is getting you anything. What I see most often is people getting frustrated b/c they can't seem to get any better no matter how hard they "train".

You will only get yourself in better shape (as far as swimming is concerned) with good technique. The entire workout is more effective both in distance swum and aerobic conditioning b/c you're actually working with resistance against your muscles as opposed to "spinning your wheels" in the water.

I agree with all of this......

On that website there are also a number of drill sets and technique articles. The best thing people can do is get a private instructor for a workout or two.

And I am also coming from somewhere where maybe I assume too much. Having played NCAA Division I water polo (a long time and many pounds ago :wink: ), I often take technique for granted, and see horrible technique at my gym's pool

I thnk my main point is I see a lot of people get in the water and just swim. IMHO, swim sets are a better way to work out in th epool. Technique was not the point of my post, but it is still of primary importance

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom