Need more strength for finning-???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zuzanne

Contributor
Reaction score
I need a good exercise to help me have a more powerful kick. I just don't seem to go any where when I am kicking. Dive Instructor says my fins are fine and my form is good, I just don't seem to have any power in my kick. Do any of you ladies have this problem? Is there a specific exercise that I can do to get more leg power?

I don't mind being a slow moe if there is no current and I am just shore diving with hubby, but boat diving and current brings on issues of having enough leg power to get me back to the tag line or boat.

Thanks,

Zuzanne

I have a problem with it, because I am not stream line. I am diving in a drysuit, and using Dacor panther fins.. I find myself dolphin kicking a lot to get going fast anywhere. As for exercises, I would do just leg exercises like lunges, and squats, in the gym <if you attend one> I would do leg press, and leg curls, leg extensions. Even some cardio like biking and running will help. I noticed a big difference after working out at the gym and biking that I have a more powerful kick.

When I first started diving I used Blade fins and had problems with leg cramping. Switching to Apollo Bio fins addressed this problem. This worked fine for me -- I could always keep up with my buddies -- until I learned that I have to complete a timed distance swim as part of the instructor certification.

To prepare for this I started taking my M/F/S to the local pool where I work out and doing timed swims -- 36 lengths of a 25 yard pool (I'll admit that I look like a bit of a doofus with all the equipment). Having done this a couple times a week for a two months now, I'm amazed at how much stronger my kick has become while diving ... and how much my air consumption has improved.

While you can probably do "non swimming" exercises like squats, running, etc., it probably makes the most sense to exercise in your fins, building up the distances and decreasing time gradually in a controlled setting.

zuzanne:
I need a good exercise to help me have a more powerful kick. I just don't seem to go any where when I am kicking. Dive Instructor says my fins are fine and my form is good, I just don't seem to have any power in my kick. Do any of you ladies have this problem? Is there a specific exercise that I can do to get more leg power?

I don't mind being a slow moe if there is no current and I am just shore diving with hubby, but boat diving and current brings on issues of having enough leg power to get me back to the tag line or boat.

Thanks,

Zuzanne

Swim with just your fins on ...and a bathing suit...Use a mask and snorkel or just swim on your back for 20-30 minute sets. I did this for a year and it really helped my cardio fitness too.

You can also swim with your fins and use a kickboard to support your body but you have to make sure your fins stay underwater instead of "paddle boating" on the surface.

I'm small and I've found that a short, stiff fin blade works better for me than a longer more flexible blade.
Ber :lilbunny:

zuzanne,

Have you tried using the frog kick? With it you are using both legs at the same time which, depending upon the force you use, can generate quite a bit of power.

Stiffer fins might help but may also require some exercise to strengthen you muscles.

Streamlining and horizontal body position are both very important to reduce drag to the lowest possible level.

jbd

I use the frog kick, and i move a lot faster with it than with anyother kick. Swimming has always helped my kick strenght, too.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will try the frog kick this week and see how that does. My form is good, I just don't have any power in the kick. I'm using Oceanic Caribe full foot fins. I'll also step up the tread & lunges.
Zuzanne

What about cycling?
I was did a couple 10k runs before I got into diving & was surprised that my legs were still pretty tired after dives.
I then started cycling & couldn't believe the difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom