Scubapro Ladyhawk BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahoneme

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and to diving. I love it so far.

I purchased a scubapro ladyhawk bc this past weekend. When I tried it on at the store, the straps started to loosen up. The person at the dive shop told me not to worry about it because this wouldn't happen when the bc got wet. I went diving the next day, and the straps got loose.

Has anyone experienced this problem before? What is the best way to fix it?

mahoneme:
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and to diving. I love it so far.

I purchased a scubapro ladyhawk bc this past weekend. When I tried it on at the store, the straps started to losen up. The person at the dive shop told me not to worry about it because this wouldn't happen when the bc got wet. I went diving the next day, and the straps got lose.

Has anyone experienced this problem before? What is the best way to fix it?

I have a Knighthawk and have no problems with loosening of the buckles. They are actually easy to adjust and take off.
I would take a look at a few more new units at your LDS.

Welcome to the board and have fun diving!

David

Hummmm,

Does the buckle slip or does it just get looser in the water?

If the buckle slips, I would suggest that it's threaded wrong. Go back to your LDS and have them take a look at it and fix the issue.

If it gets loose after you get wet, then it's the webbing that's doing it.

For it to work properly (fit snuggly) you have to wet the webbing (wet it well - soak it in the bathtub for a while) and adjust it so it fits comfortably. Do this with both the shoulder straps and the webbing that holds the tank. Frequently, people adjust the webbing of a new BC while it's dry, especially around the tank. Then when the webbing gets wet, it expands, causing the tank to slip. The only remedy to this is to adjust the webing around the tank (and by extension, your shoulders) when wet. Then it will provide a nice tight fit.

BTW - you only have to do this the first time. Once the webbing has been adjusted (when wet) you should never have to adjust it again. Unless of course you go to a different sized tank.

That's about all the advice I can provide right now. Best of luck and let us know how the issue turns out!

I have a Nighthawk (not the ladies version) and I've had no problems thus far. It's a great BCD and almost as comfortable as my wings.

Hoya97:
Hummmm,

Does the buckle slip or does it just get looser in the water?

If the buckle slips, I would suggest that it's threaded wrong. Go back to your LDS and have them take a look at it and fix the issue.

If it gets loose after you get wet, then it's the webbing that's doing it.

For it to work properly (fit snuggly) you have to wet the webbing (wet it well - soak it in the bathtub for a while) and adjust it so it fits comfortably. Do this with both the shoulder straps and the webbing that holds the tank. Frequently, people adjust the webbing of a new BC while it's dry, especially around the tank. Then when the webbing gets wet, it expands, causing the tank to slip. The only remedy to this is to adjust the webing around the tank (and by extension, your shoulders) when wet. Then it will provide a nice tight fit.

It gets loose when it's dry and when it's wet. Both shoulder straps were loosening up when I first tried it on, but the right shoulder strap and the sternum strap got loose when I was in the water. The shoulder strap got loose as I was getting back on the boat, but the sternum one got loose as I was diving. I had no issues with the tank one.

I'm going to try your recomendation and hopefully that will take care of the problem.

Thanks a lot!

I have a ladyhawk as does an old coworked of mine. I've had mine for a few years now and love it. I don't have the problem where the straps loosen, but my friend has the new model (from this year) and had the same problem you do. I noticed that the buckles swivel and if you turn the buckles by accident when you're in the water (i.e. if you bump into something or turn around, etc.) it tends to loosen the straps. I might suggest that once you get the straps comfortable, maybe put a zip tie or something around it in case it's a manufacturer's thing and if you don't want to get rid of it because it fits comfortably or better than other units.

scubajenn:
I have a ladyhawk as does an old coworked of mine. I've had mine for a few years now and love it. I don't have the problem where the straps loosen, but my friend has the new model (from this year) and had the same problem you do. I noticed that the buckles swivel and if you turn the buckles by accident when you're in the water (i.e. if you bump into something or turn around, etc.) it tends to loosen the straps. I might suggest that once you get the straps comfortable, maybe put a zip tie or something around it in case it's a manufacturer's thing and if you don't want to get rid of it because it fits comfortably or better than other units.

I am going to try and do what Hoya97 suggested, but I'm also going back to the LDS where I got it from and see what they have to say. I want to know if they have gotten complaints from other people about the same problem. I will try the zip tie if nothing else works.

Thanks a lot!

mahoneme:
I am going to try and do what Hoya97 suggested, but I'm also going back to the LDS where I got it from and see what they have to say. I want to know if they have gotten complaints from other people about the same problem. I will try the zip tie if nothing else works.

Thanks a lot!

You shouldn't have to put a zip tie (good duct tape would probably work better) on a new, top-of-the-line BCD to make it work right. I suggest you talk to the LDS, and Scubapro if necessary, using terms like "defect in material or workmanship. I would be very surprised if Scubapro did not make this right.

awap:
You shouldn't have to put a zip tie (good duct tape would probably work better) on a new, top-of-the-line BCD to make it work right. I suggest you talk to the LDS, and Scubapro if necessary, using terms like "defect in material or workmanship. I would be very surprised if Scubapro did not make this right.
I ended up going to my LDS yesterday, and the attitude I got was less than desirable. They said they hadn't heard anything like that before and that I probably got the buckles caught on something. It's just weird that both my sternum and shoulder straps got loose at the same time...I am going to call Scubapro directly and see what they have to say.

Thank you all for your input.

mahoneme:
I ended up going to my LDS yesterday, and the attitude I got was less than desirable. They said they hadn't heard anything like that before and that I probably got the buckles caught on something. It's just weird that both my sternum and shoulder straps got loose at the same time...I am going to call Scubapro directly and see what they have to say.

Thank you all for your input.

After spending that much on a high end BC they should have really bent over to help resolve the issue. Can you make the buckles slip by just tugging on them? If so and the LDS is still saying it'll grab when wet just ask them to soak it for you and then try it. If it slips then ask for a refund. Where are you located?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom