Strength & stamina for cold shore dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

logan6

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm in the midst of my AOW cert, and had my first ever shore and night diving experiences at Folly Cove,(in MA) Sat night 8-14. I have to admit that was the hardest I have ever had to work for a dive -- yeah, I am a warm-water boat diving girl (BVI is destination of choice)... Those slippery rocks (at low tide) almost did me in - had the requisite "I've fallen and I can't get up" moments. But my buddy, instructor and 2 male classmates were very patient and encouraging (thanks guys!), and by the end of the second dive, I made it back up the shore on my own with full gear on - walking upright, not crawling.

My buddy is a good friend and we communicate really well, but she is much more athletic than I am - she ran the Boston Marathon and has been known to climb a few mountains. I am a former dancer/aerialist, but had breast cancer a few years back and have had several surgeries and long recuperation periods related to that. Perfectly healthy now, I have no problem with strength and stamina during boat diving, but walking around with all that gear on and negotiating slippery rocks to enter the water was a major challenge - and really made the dives difficult to enjoy.

I ache in places I didn't even know existed and I was completely wiped yesterday but I feel good since I kept my head and didn't give up when things got uncomfortable.

Does anyone else have issues "keeping up with the boys"? I love diving and want to enjoy it up here close to home. Please give me some hope that I am not destined to be a warm water wuss...

Ann

My dive medicine doc friend recommends pilates core exercises to strengthen for shore diving in cold water (which is what we have in Monterey where I dive).

-Cynthia

logan6:
Hi All,

I'm in the midst of my AOW cert, and had my first ever shore and night diving experiences at Folly Cove,(in MA) Sat night 8-14. I have to admit that was the hardest I have ever had to work for a dive -- yeah, I am a warm-water boat diving girl (BVI is destination of choice)... Those slippery rocks (at low tide) almost did me in - had the requisite "I've fallen and I can't get up" moments. But my buddy, instructor and 2 male classmates were very patient and encouraging (thanks guys!), and by the end of the second dive, I made it back up the shore on my own with full gear on - walking upright, not crawling.

My buddy is a good friend and we communicate really well, but she is much more athletic than I am - she ran the Boston Marathon and has been known to climb a few mountains. I am a former dancer/aerialist, but had breast cancer a few years back and have had several surgeries and long recuperation periods related to that. Perfectly healthy now, I have no problem with strength and stamina during boat diving, but walking around with all that gear on and negotiating slippery rocks to enter the water was a major challenge - and really made the dives difficult to enjoy.

I ache in places I didn't even know existed and I was completely wiped yesterday but I feel good since I kept my head and didn't give up when things got uncomfortable.

Does anyone else have issues "keeping up with the boys"? I love diving and want to enjoy it up here close to home. Please give me some hope that I am not destined to be a warm water wuss...

Ann

logan6:
Hi All,

Ann

1) Train for what you intend to do; if you need to build strength, lift weights or do the pilates or better, do both
2) Your buddy should be there with you, and you should be helping one another negotiate the terrain where there is bad footing

logan6:
Hi All,

Ann

No way! Let them help you when you need it. Ask for assistance or give them a head's up that you may need to lean on them to get upright again or whatever at the end of your dive. You are meant to be buddies and that means supporting each other before, during and after the dives.

I am sure they don't see you as a failure or as weak coz beach entries can be tough!

You get out there and dive and have a great time!!

i won't mention any names (Smokeaire), but i had to help my buddy (Smokeaire) up during the only shore
entry/exit we've ever done.

he was a guy (Smokeaire). sort of payback for our third or fourth
cavern dive together when i managed to kick his mask off
AND hit him in the head with my fin while he was trying to untangle me from a mess of cave line...
(self-evidently, he succeded) i still feel the shame!

really, it's no big thing. one buddy helping another is the way it's supposed to be.

you did great, btw. :wink:

We've got some real hikes here in So. California - down a steep hill and then of course back up it. When I first started beach diving I was so exhausted when I returned home. I'd clean my gear and then take a nap. I just kept at it and now, it's not so bad! I actually enjoy the challenges of beach diving and like beach diving better than boat diving. (Sick, I know!) It just seems like much more of an accomplishment than jumping off a boat.

My buddy trained for these dives by wearing his BC, tank, and weights at home. He'd walk up and down the stairs to the second floor.

Good luck and enjoy!

-Karen

logan6:
Hi All,

First of all, there is no shame in a four-point egress AKA crawling. :wink: If that's what you have to do to get out of the water, then that's what you have to do! There has been many a time that I have crawled out of the surf because I was knocked down by some serious waves & it was simply easier (and safer) to crawl up out of the water than struggle against the waves to stand up to get out.

BTW, what type of exposure protection are you wearing? Diving wet in cold water is a real strength-sapper. After I switched to a drysuit not only was I able to stay down longer, but I felt much better AFTER the dives.

DSDO,

Hi Ann,

I can't tell by your post how old you are but I'm a 43 year old woman who has always been physically active. I enjoy all kinds of outdoor sports. I have wanted to scuba dive since I was 18 but never made the opportunity for myself until this summer. I am in heaven!! I love it as much as I thought I would. However, the weight of all that gear is murder on me and I'm no wuss either :wink: Being heavier personally than I ever have doesn't help. Diving has made me more motivated to lose weight. In the meantime I depend heavily on my dive buddies and hope they understand. I dislike the preparation stage of diving immensely. I'm hoping that a better fitting custom wetsuit will help me out a little. However, once I get in the water and start diving I am in another world and forget everything except that diving experience. Well, until I have to get OUT of the water. Then it all comes rushing back. But it's absolutely worth the struggles. I prefer boat dives and after joining a dive club I can now get a 10% discount which helps because they are not cheap. I gladly spend the extra money to keep from beach diving. Wuss? NO! BVI- YES!!

PS I should tell you my most embarrassing moment coming out of the surf with lots of interested bystanders. I was feeling really cool until that little but oh-so-powerful wave hit me....

I am a 48 year old woman who is fit but does not work out. I think that a bit of what you are encountering is the newness of the situation. Doing anything like this for the first time is a lot of work physically and mentally (task loading for cold weather diving).
Interestingly enough my buddy told me to walk around the house with my gear on too ! Frankly, I think that would be inviting back and shoulder strain.
Part of what may help would be if you can find shore dives that have easier entries, or get more help donning your equipment closer to the water.
I do like shore diving in the NE but I admit that once I thought I was going to die - going up the stairs at Fort Wetherill in RI after a dive with all my gear on (dry suit).. My dive partner who was an iron man can do it fairly hopping up the stairs. Never again. I felt like I was going to be ill.
In short, I think that we may need to modify things at times to keep safe, but a lot of it is practice also. I will also add that when you can do this type of diving you are a genuis when it comes to the warm water. Its like doing nothing.

I tell any new dive buddy that the dive isn't over until I'm at my car. I often need some help keeping my balance getting out of the water, or climbing over rocks or logs. I've fallen, and any number of people have had to help me get up. Last weekend, I took my gear off in the water, because the tide conditions were such that it was just beyond me to negotiate the underwater obstacles with my gear on.

No shame . . . That's why it's a buddy sport. You get stronger with time spent hauling the gear around, and if you have the self-discipline to get to the gym, you'll do it faster.

Back
Top Bottom