Ankle fusion and still diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murray

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has been diving with a fused ankle?
What solutions did you come up with for the ankle and fin?

An underwater scooter seems like a decent idea for getting around, but trying to take one on an overseas dive trip would be a big hassle.

Later all
Sam Murray

Murray:
I was wondering if anyone has been diving with a fused ankle?
What solutions did you come up with for the ankle and fin?

An underwater scooter seems like a decent idea for getting around, but trying to take one on an overseas dive trip would be a big hassle.

Later all
Sam Murray

Both ankles or just one?

If it's just one then you might try a modified dolphin kick with the ankles crossed. It would support your bad ankle and with a bit of practice it can be an efficient enough kick for most things. At the very least it's worth experimenting with.

R..

Just one ankle thank goodness. Just trying to keep my balance with all that gear on would be near impossible.
I'll try out that dolphin kick and see if I can get that to work.
Thanks for the idea.

Murray

I recently just finished teaching a student who had both ankles fused

She also had VERY small feet so she ended up using dry socks designed for kayaking under her tevas and then put the fins on over that. We conteracted the floating feet with ankle weights and life worked pretty well.

We worked on a few self styled kicks - my cave training came in useful - she found a dolphin and modified flutter worked well.

She had split fins which I think were a good choice - so try a selection of fins as well as kicks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom