Calories burned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea how many calories are burned per hour while surface snorkelling? In particular I'm interested in a situation involving hard finning.

I saw that site yesterday. I think thats for more leisurely snorkeling. I know what you mean about questioning whether or its accurate or not. I looked at several sites and the same activities had wide and varying ranges. One site I went to said I needed to take in 3500 calories per day just to maintain my body weight!! and I consider myself to be kind of a couch potato.

I ate 3 pounds of burrito yesterday, and another pound today with steak, who cares how many calories you need to burn. Im young healthy and it doesn't matter what I eat...... all this typing makes me hungry, I think I'll go make myself a sandwitch.:D

Doesn't it seem inaccurate to group skin diving and general scuba diving in the same catagory?

I think I work a lot harder when I am skin diving, then just regular scuba.

I don't know about other people, but I can make 2 shore dives without becomeing too tired. I'm a young guy, but not in as great a shape as I'd like. But scuba diving is really not that much phyisical effort

You know, now that I think about it, there's a lot of different factors involved in that. How fast are you swimming, is there a strong current, is your body burning even more calories maintaining body temperature because you are not wearing a wet suit ?

C-horse,

Its in a small lake with full wetsuit 3/2; gloves and hood. I need to go at least 18 minute half miles prefferably faster. Water temp is 55 to 60 now.

Two goals here 1) lose weight 2) improve fitness.

The calorie thing is all about figuring out what I'm burning per day with my regular activities and conditioning program and balance that with a caloric intake that allows me to lose 1 to 2 lbs per week without going on some special diet.

This goes way back. Jacques Cousteau (sic?) was once asked if he caught fish to eat on his ship...or something to that effect. His answer was something to the effect that it actually takes more calories to catch the food than is returned to the divers comsuming it.

It kinda like eating snow to consume water. You must actually heat it to melt it. It takes too many calories to melt it in your mouth to prevent dehydration.

Don't know why I remember stuff like that...it comes in handy every 30 years or so.

Back
Top Bottom