Nudibranch ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jakubson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I finally got my secondhand copy of behrens, and i tried to ID my nudibranch photos. I put my tentative ID in the photo title. Can anyone give it a look and help me out?

Thanks.

Second one is a clown (Tropha catalinae)and the last one is a Rainbow (Dendronotis iris). I've seen the first one a few times recently, but don't remember the ID on it.

All the yellow ones always confused me. :D

Mark

"Neat Aeolid" looks like Flabellina Salmonaca. Adm. Linda and I saw what was probably
one of these at Pt. Lobos in the sand outside the cove a few weeks ago. I haven't had
a chance to get her pictures and my copy Behrens in the same place to verify.

Your "Clown" is indeed Triopha Catalinae, the clown nud.

"Sea Lemon" is used for any number of yellow nods. Yours was Anisodoris Nobilis.
They changed the Anisodoris part of the name to something else but I can remember it. It's the only local yellow nud with brown spots.

Your "Golden Dorid" is one of several that can't be differentiated without a scalpel.
I just call them all "Lemon Nudibranchs" and don't worry about it. I don't use "Lemon"
for A. Nobilis.

Your "Rainbow Dendronotid" is indeed Dendronotis Iris, the Rainbow Nudibranch.

Stick with the scientific names where possible. They are unambiguous. If the kids
can ID Tyranasaurus Rex, you can ID nuds.

Behrens is due out with a new edition, I think this month or next.

Suggestion on the photography: Get low, get close, shoot up.

Chuck Tribolet:
"Neat Aeolid" looks like Flabellina Salmonaca. Adm. Linda and I saw what was probably
one of these at Pt. Lobos in the sand outside the cove a few weeks ago. I haven't had
a chance to get her pictures and my copy Behrens in the same place to verify.

Your "Clown" is indeed Triopha Catalinae, the clown nud.

"Sea Lemon" is used for any number of yellow nods. Yours was Anisodoris Nobilis.
They changed the Anisodoris part of the name to something else but I can remember it. It's the only local yellow nud with brown spots.

Your "Golden Dorid" is one of several that can't be differentiated without a scalpel.
I just call them all "Lemon Nudibranchs" and don't worry about it. I don't use "Lemon"
for A. Nobilis.

Your "Rainbow Dendronotid" is indeed Dendronotis Iris, the Rainbow Nudibranch.

Stick with the scientific names where possible. They are unambiguous. If the kids
can ID Tyranasaurus Rex, you can ID nuds.

Behrens is due out with a new edition, I think this month or next.
Thanks for the help.
Chuck Tribolet:
Suggestion on the photography: Get low, get close, shoot up.
Yeah, I know. I am so sensitive about not stirring up the bottom and reducing viz that I have a hard time forcing myself low. Gotta work on that. That's why I love tropical wall diving - easy to shoot up! :)

Take a lesson from the cave and wreck crowd, where stirring up the bottom might be
fatal: Trim yourself so you float horizontally, or even a touch head down, and do little
modified frog kicks with your ankles. This will really help eliminate the self-induced
backscatter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom