Best Monterey Dive Sites???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver_Jan

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the info re Monterey. My next question is...besides Point Lobos, what are the best dive sites in Monterey? I will be there for approximately 2 to 3 days in July.

I'm a very advanced 'beach' and boat diver who loves photography, especially that of Nudibranhs, eels, and Metridiums. With little time, would it be worth it to dive Metridium Garden? Any other suggestions?

Also, anyone know of a good place to rent Kayaks? I would love to do the Kayak run while I am visiting.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Orcal is invading Norcal :D I'm a newbie, but I'm sure some NorCal vets will chime in.
Lovers is easy.

If you only have 1 day to dive here I would sugest the Breakwater. Which is actually 2 or 3 divesites put together:
The Metridium Fields, Breakwater Wall, and the Middle reef.

Shore diving? On the Monterey side I'd probably say Coral Street or Lover's 3 for easy dives with good photography potential. Everyone dives Breakwater, FWIW, so if there are quite a few classes the vis won't be great. Metridium field is right there too, as Ben said. On the Carmel side you could always dive Monastery (if the seas are calm), or Butterfly house. Everything south of Point Lobos is really rugged. The diving is fantastic, but no *real* access.

http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/swell/CDNDiveSites.html

Have you made reservations for Pt Lobos yet?

If you can still get there, and don't mind a little hike, "Three - Two - Five" That's 3 1/4 miles south of Lobos, take the path down. One of the best Northern California dives I know. Requires a surfmat to get in and out with a reasonable chance of survival.

Hi Jan-If the surf is calm I would go to Monastery!

I beleive kayaks can be rented near the main pier in Monterey?

Agree on the recommendations for the Carmel side (Monastery, Butterfly House) if conditions permit. If things are a little rougher, you can do fine on the Monterey side. I had never dove Lovers #1 before for some inexplicable reason, but did so the other day and was really impressed with the variety of life we found. Lots of nudis of every shape and size for you to photograph.

You also can't go wrong going out on a boat if you don't mind spending a few bucks, since they'll probably do the best job of finding the best spot to dive given the conditions.

On the kayaks, I think the place mentioned above is Monterey Bay Kayaks. I've never rented from them myself, but I think I remember someone saying they only allow you to use rented kayaks around the shop. Not sure whether you had planned on strapping it to your car and heading somewhere with it, but if that was your plan, you may want to call first.

Only one day to dive and we're recommending the breakwater???. Or even metridium fields? Isn't that kinda like visiting Cozumel and the locals recommending the `reef' in front of your hotel as the best dive??? Wow. A lot of you have been wasting your time at Aumentos, Pinnacles, Mono Lobo, Chase, Monastery, Erics, and other places when you should have been diving the breakwater.
Mike Jones

mjones:
Only one day to dive and we're recommending the breakwater???. Or even metridium fields?

You're gonna make me do it, huh? OK, let's make it a Point Lobos day and I'll bring my inflatable AND the Diveyak. Let us know the day so we can make reservations.

Back
Top Bottom