North Coast Divers Mendocino Coast dive on 9-9-06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter_C

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Our group that we call North Coast divers, which is more of a no fees organization too bring people together for diving the North Coast, had another successful monthly dive. We met at Van Damme in the morning, dove there first, then eventually winding up at Russian Gulch on Saturday.

The second day, Sunday, many in the group that camped at Van Damme went to Jack Peter's and raved about it, saying "That place is simply amazing with its canyons, crevices, abundant life, and nice vis. I would definitely say that is now my favorite dive site, eclipsing even Pt. Lobos." WOW! Now that is a place I am looking forward to diving. Too bad I missed it.

North Coast Divers is still a small website, but growing all the time. We are always looking for new people to join the group for diving. Many are ab and spear hunters and will often hold a BBQ after with fresh caught food. The nice thing about this club is there are no dues, there are no meetings (Other than dive sites), and the only requirement is you bring a good attitude. We welcome any certified diver all the way up to advanced divers. You are responsible for your own actions and must dive safe.

Please feel free to poke around the website and if it is something you like, post up and let us know when you are planning on diving or joining us for a dive :14:

The write up of this trip, with pictures, is here Mendocino Trip

Here is the main URL for North Coast Divers

My friend John and I spent another day at the coast yesterday, but dove at Gerstle cove in Sonoma County. We saw 4 otters right when we got there, so we knew it was going to be a good day. It was sunny and warm with very little swell action and the tides were up with a minimal swing. Conditions were about as good as they get.

Check out some of the pictures and a short write up here Gerstle Cove

Well I poked around a little and it does seem that there are not supposed to be any otters at the North Coast. I sent an email to numerous people I thought might be interested in them. Will have to see what comes out of it.

Looks like they are moving in! Damn! That means we will have to keep an eye on our abalone floats.

I got a couple of replies and this guy should be a leading expert.

"Hi Peter! Thank you for the pictures! I spent many many days on the
North
Coast diving for abs and fish. Fun times!

They look like river otters to me. River otters often venture into the
ocean. Is there a good sized creek nearby? In places like Puget Sound
you
can sometimes have river and sea otters almost side by side.

Steve"

So maybe they are just river otters. Hopefully we will get to see them again and this time we can get a better picture. We were getting ready to go in and by the time we parked our cars they were gone, so I only got the far away pictures with my pocket camera.

Yep, River Otters. I understand they do eat fish, but not abs and urchin.

Mark

Chuck Tribolet:
Otters at Gerstle? I thought they hadn't jumped the Golden Gate yet.

I saw an Sea Otter in Bodega Bay in March. I was shocked as I believed the same thing. There are a few otters North of the Golden Gate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom