Diving in San Francisco area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SD40T-2

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings,

My friend and I are thinking of taking a trip to the San Francisco area in about a month. We will be there most likley a week or so.
We don't know of any good places to dive. Anyone have any good sugestions on some "budget dives" in the area. We're also interested in doing dives that are not coastal or ocean dives. Fresh water dives are fine as well.

Thanks,

SD

SLC, UT

SD40T-2 once bubbled...
Greetings,

My friend and I are thinking of taking a trip to the San Francisco area in about a month. We will be there most likley a week or so.
We don't know of any good places to dive. Anyone have any good sugestions on some "budget dives" in the area. We're also interested in doing dives that are not coastal or ocean dives. Fresh water dives are fine as well.

Thanks,

SD

SLC, UT

You definitely need to go to monterey as it has everything from diving for beginners all the way to advanced deep boat dives.You name it and its there except for good visibilty sometimes.:D Monterey is just a short trip from san francisco.

DeputyDan once bubbled...
Very cold water.... plan accordingly.....

How cold are we talking? I'm planning on a drysuit being my main exposure protection by then but in the event that does'nt happen will a 7MM be sufficient?.

We're also interested in any dive that would be easy to do around the Emeryville area. This is a cheap budget trip so travel will not be by air so we will have extra time with out having to worry about Time-to-fly.

Thanks,

SD

Im afraid Monterey is going to be it for you guys..there really is no diving in the bay to speak of,bad Vis and strong tides. You could go north up the Coast,but Monterey would be best IMHO.
water temp will be in the high 50s
Have Fun!:)

your 7 mil in monterey would be sufficent. if you are driving and the air isn't too cold, you could do Lake Tahoe. The water is warmer than the ocean, but the air can be below freezing, the vis is usually about 60' but all you see are rocks and crawdads. And when you are done diving you can hit the slopes

scuberd once bubbled...
And when you are done diving you can hit the slopes
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! Heavenly (for example) is something like 4000' above the lake - wait a day before skiing after diving the lake :)

Ok well here is another question,

We had not really considered Tahoe however, it might be something to look into. My question is that we might be divng the day before we return. We are not flying. Instead we are taking Amtrak's California Zepher which by the way is a bargin right now. Would the climb over Donner pass present altitude concern?

W don't have the total trip planned out but want to make the best out of the time we have.

Thanks,

SD

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! Heavenly (for example) is something like 4000' above the lake - wait a day before skiing after diving the lake :)

...and the highest elevation I could find through Google for Amtrak was 7400' in the Donner Pass, compared to 6229' for Lake Tahoe - approximately 1171' gain in elevation. I would check with Amtrak though directly - they should be able to provide you with that information.

if you dove tahoe, it would be after going over donner summit, and it's mostly down hill from there. If you do stop anywhere near there, PM me, I grew up there and dove 3 lakes around there last summer.

to my knowledge, the train doesn't stop anymore in Truckee and you might have to rent a car or something in Reno. There are no train tracks within 30 miles of the lake itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom