Name of those black birds that dive into the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikemill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Got startled by a couple yesterday, so am trying to figure out the name of the bird so I can curse it properly :wink: I'm swimming along and I feel something pressing upwards on my thigh and went I look down there is this big mass of black swimming under me. After it swims off another one decided to buzz me. Decided that I should probably leave that area. On my way out I found a dead on in the water.

Yes, almost certainly a cormorant. It's a bizarre feeling, to be diving along and sudden see . . . a BIRD! I'm astonished at their diving ability; I have seen them at 40 feet, but I have friends who have seen them much deeper. It's a hard life, trying to catch fish by diving, I think.

And then there are those that take it to another level:

Helicopter fishing

At least he did a catch & release.

Yes, almost certainly a cormorant. It's a bizarre feeling, to be diving along and sudden see . . . a BIRD! I'm astonished at their diving ability; I have seen them at 40 feet, but I have friends who have seen them much deeper. It's a hard life, trying to catch fish by diving, I think.

Got startled by a couple yesterday, so am trying to figure out the name of the bird so I can curse it properly :wink: I'm swimming along and I feel something pressing upwards on my thigh and went I look down there is this big mass of black swimming under me. After it swims off another one decided to buzz me. Decided that I should probably leave that area. On my way out I found a dead on in the water.

fobturbo and I were at Breakwater yesterday. At about 48 FSW just beyond the kelp there was one area where we had several cormorants fishing the bottom beneath us. We didn't have as close an encounter as you describe. I always get a kick out of seeing birds that deep.

We also had a few visits from the seals while we were there.

Interestingly, we didn't have any such encounters during our second dive. It was about the same depth, but closer to the wall. Maybe the creatures were taking an afternoon siesta. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom