Newbie: Hello NorCal Divers! How can I play too?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frontiernurse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there! I am a brand new diver. Just got certified in January in Mexico. Did 6 dives there which were very comfy and natural and awesome!. Then did one dive in Monterey a few weeks ago which was much harder. Loved what I saw, but had a brutal cramp that ruined the dive, in spite of the big Cabezon and the circling sea lion. I had to surface mid-dive. It was embarrassing. But I love being under water and want to join you all!

I want to learn more. I feel lucky to live in the Bay Area. However, when faced with all the extra weight and equipment and exertion, I fully admit, I didn't do that well. I'm a good swimmer, comfy in cold water, but dive cert notwithstanding, I still don't know how to navigate or plan a dive well, and probably wouldn't be the most attentive buddy cuz I still don't know Jack! Also, I don't own a BCD/dive watch. Just the basics: mask/snorkel/fins/gloves/boots.

So I see all these enticing posts about people going on dives, and I want to get more experience, but I'm not experienced. When people post on this list about going on dives, how does that work? Do you all have your own equipment already? Do you go out with a DM? Or just fill your tanks at a shop then go out with a buddy? Are your dives associated with a shop usually? How do feel about going out with inexperienced divers like me? How did you do your first 5 or 10 or 20 dives?

Thanks in advance for being kind to my uncool ignorant post!

So I see all these enticing posts about people going on dives, and I want to get more experience, but I'm not experienced. When people post on this list about going on dives, how does that work?

ask, receive, dive

Do you all have your own equipment already?

Most... but not all.
Do you go out with a DM?

For most the answer is no. You can hire a DM for a guided dive. That would be a good introduction to local diving. Even the local boats there's usually not a DM that leads the dives underwater unless you hire one.

Or just fill your tanks at a shop then go out with a buddy?

That's usually how it works..

Are your dives associated with a shop usually?
Some do and some don't.

How do feel about going out with inexperienced divers like me? How did you do your first 5 or 10 or 20 dives?
I would read everything I can on the local sites, how to read the conditions and find a local mentor that has a more experience than you do. Start out on the "bunny slopes" hen as you build up confidence and skill move up to the more challenging sites.

Thanks in advance for being kind to my uncool ignorant post!

Don't mention it we were all there once...

There are some awesome divers/mentors here on SB just ask and maybe you'll find yourself a buddy of two :wink:

Welcome, frontiernurse. You can find a lot of buddies here, the only way you gain experience is to get out and dive, or take more classes. I came on here, I joined a dive club out of my local dive shop, and I now dive just about every weekend here in Monterey.
I hired a DM last summer to get me back in the water after some scary experiences. I did fine and now I'm diving about every weekend. If you see me post I'll be out at Breakwater, feel free to get in touch with me to come along. I don't mind taking newbies out, I like to make new friends. And if there's more than 3 people, we can team people up.
Cold water diving is a lot different than warm water diving, isn't it? You get used to it. You may never like it, some of us love it. There is a lot to see, but it can be a lot of work (and neoprene) to get to see it. I feel blessed I can be a part of it!

Howdy,

You have lots of options. you can join a local dive club, dive with shops who do "fun dives" organized through the shop, you can go to a meet and greet organized right here on SB, (I still need to get to one, my schedule always seems to conflict) or simply ask to join someone here, most folks are happy to go diving with someone new.

Lots of friendly folks here. No worries, we'll get you submerged and back to surface. Ask and ye shall receive.

Nomad

Welcome Frontiernurse!

Glad to have a new diver in our ranks. Diving in California is one of my favorite places ro dive. It's a lot of work (added weight, neoprene, long surface swims) but it's worth the effort. I'm an instructor, used to diving with newbies and I would be happy to take you out. Just shoot me an email. Now that it's warming up I should be down in Monterey 2-3 weekends a month.

Happy Diving!

"How can I play too?"
Step one, post here
step two meet SB members on a fun easy dive
step three repeat
step four attend the occasional meet and greet
step five, go to Gianni's with group, eat pizza, drink beer, tell lies
step six repeat as necessary

Newbies! I am in! WIfe and I are NEW divers, certified in Montery and then off to COzumel to die......I mean dive!

Looking for thouse that would not look down their nose on us, cause we're new and just want to have a great time!

Welcome frontiernurse and mcace007!

When people post on this list about going on dives, how does that work?

You either reply to the thread or PM the original poster. Or you can start your own thread looking for a buddy as well.

Do you all have your own equipment already?

Hmmmm... I think that all the active NorCal posters do. However, this is not a prerequisite for joining us. It's about having fun.

Over time, it becomes economical and convenient to have your own gear. Plus, in NorCal, having proper, well fitting, and appropriate gear makes a huge difference. For example, a personal wetsuit vs a rental wetsuit - it's no comparison which will keep you warmer.

Do you go out with a DM?

As Ben_ca wrote, while you can hire a DM, most people do not. However, it's best to have an experienced local diver show your around though. Some beaches may look deceptively easy, but they are not.

Also, boats do not have in water DMs.

Or just fill your tanks at a shop then go out with a buddy?

That's the vast majority of us.

Are your dives associated with a shop usually?

Mine are not, but there are active dive clubs associated with shops. It's a good way to meet people and get started. At the same time, ScubaBoard feels like a giant dive club too. Most of the active posters know each other and dive with each other (or we try).

How do feel about going out with inexperienced divers like me?

Feels like fresh air.

How did you do your first 5 or 10 or 20 dives?

Here's a great thread for new NorCal divers: Three things to tell new divers to Monterey

As others mentioned, NorCal diving is not immediately easy. However, it's well worth it. The cold, the gear, all of it doesn't matter when you're getting buzzed by seals or swimming through kelp forrests with beams of light cutting through or gliding in between pinnacles layered in colorful hydrocoral or seeing your first leopard shark or discovering the wild and wacky worlds of nudibranchs.

Looking for thouse that would not look down their nose on us, cause we're new and just want to have a great time!

We were all new once, and we remember what's it like. Have fun and a great attitude, you'll find yourself with lots of people to dive with.

Welcome to California diving!

My advice to you is to do Advanced Open Water certification (or some kind of additional training) in Monterey. California diving is great, but it's harder and takes more skill than warm water diving. If you take the AOW course with a local instructor, you'll pick up some useful skills and get familiar with the type of diving Northern California offers. All the while, an instructor will be present to make sure you're diving safely and learning the right skills for NorCal. You'll feel more comfortable going out with a buddy after that.

About equipment - it's a huge investment. I wouldn't recommend making it unless you know you're in the sport for good. There are several dive shops in Monterey and many in the Bay Area - rent first to get a feel for what you need, then go out and buy. The only exception - wet suit. I bought one after my first OW class. The rentals just don't keep me warm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom