Video: Saturday dive at Point Lobos (3/20/2010)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm so glad we caught a break from the recent El Nino conditions. Saturday was finally looking nice, so a few of us headed out to Point Lobos to test the waters. On the drive over, Monastery Beach was as calm as I've ever seen it (and packed with dive-mobiles) and Whaler's cove was mirror-flat, with the sand at the bottom clearly visible from the parking lot. Matt led us west of cannery point wall to a series of huge boulders and pinnacles, ranging from 30-70fsw depth.

The theme of the dive was fish - we saw at least 3 very large lingcod, 2 sizable cabezon and a couple of large schools of blue rockfish swaying in the marginal surge. The viz wasn't the clearest of the year, but a very nice, if slightly milky 30ft. The water temp was down a degree or two, but long kick dives always keep me warm.

[youtubehq]kNYiI1AAc0M[/youtubehq]

Looks like many of us missed out on a nice day of diving South. Thanks for sharing the video :)

great video... thanks for sharing

Gorgeous as always... Conditions really were great this weekend. We surface swam all the way out to bird rock for our first dive (had to rest a minute before descending after that one :wink:), and swam back in passing (IIRC) the first sister on our way, max depth 106fsw. The second dive was a nice dive around middle reef, finishing off with some nice and incredibly clear diving very shallow in the cove.

It was great to see all you as well! Between seeing Kenn, Ben, and Kathy it was like a miniature M&G (albeit without actually diving together :)).

It was great to see all you as well! Between seeing Kenn, Ben, and Kathy it was like a miniature M&G (albeit without actually diving together :)).

Nice video... Sorry we missed you guys. We kinda got a late start.

Brian good to see you too! Glad you had a nice day out. Thanks Ben for that awesome day of diving and the fun scooter tow! We visited the Caverns then headed out to Granite point wall and dropped down to about 80ft just around the tip for 90+ minutes of fantastic diving :)!

That's a beautiful video Kenn. Looks like you all had a fantastic dive :)! The school of blue rock fish is amazing!

I'm really sorry we missed you too!

A buddy of mine snapped this picture of me that day - nice angle! Of course, all I can focus on is that I need to shorten my necklace because I had NO idea that my backup reg was floating up on me like that. :shocked2:

4455320462_9d7b38db20.jpg

Hey, that's a really great shot! You certainly have a way with the metridia :wink:

Nice video. Wish I was there right now.

Erik

A buddy of mine snapped this picture of me that day - nice angle! Of course, all I can focus on is that I need to shorten my necklace because I had NO idea that my backup reg was floating up on me like that. :shocked2:
Is that a snorkel? :shocked2:
If so it needs to find a place in a bin at home. :eyebrow:
You should also be able to find a black cover for your second stage. Someone might mistake it as the one they should be grabbing. What brand and model is it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom