Need to Borrow a Padi EAN book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aikiguy

Contributor
Reaction score
On the blue parts, not the brown or green parts.
# of dives
50 - 99
I live on a boat. It is a lot like living in your smallest walk in closet at your house! :)

I have way too many of these padi books already taking up space on the boat. They are expensive, and really does anyone ever read them after the class? :)

I am set to do the EAN class in April, along with the Wife.

Does anyone have the books and the tables that we can borrow for the class, and return to you in May.........

Along with a IOU for a nice day sail on the bay later in the summer?

Thanks,
Guy
:)

If you must do PADI why not just complete the online Nitrox version of it.I taught one this AM and its sooo easy.Realize its designed for the people who just wish to get acces to recreation nitrox use , as most people do, and not for those who want to get into any real tech type diving, its a ok start ..Easiest if you plan on using a computer to deive with.
No need for any books this way.Once completed, print out sheet and take to the LDS or instructor you align your training with.

Wow oly5050user I didn't even know that you could do that till just now when you told me we could...

We signed up at one of the local dive stores at a blow out event (At Wallins, who really are a great shop. I can't blame on them, entirely, the confusion created in what is now an ongoing saga ).

We saw EAN class for $20.00. Thinking; "well at that price why not take it". I don't think we are ever going to use it, but for $20.00 each why not have the ability to use it if we want to.... They did tell us that the books were not included in the class price.

I thought, hell I know a lot of divers, there are some really cool people on Scubaboard.com and maybe I could borrow a book spend a weeknight with some friends and the spouse, and "learn" the nitrox stuff at a class at Wallins. Maybe meet some more cool people to dive with etc.....

I didn't realize that this was a PADI (Put Another Dollar In), scheme to try and market something as inexpensive and the screw you to the wall.

So right after I posted the previous request a friend knocked on the hull and we talked about the upcoming fun (he dives too). I mentioned that I thought that we got a screaming good deal on the class, and apologized for not putting down a $20.00 for him and he could have come with us.... He then said; "Yeah the class is only $20.00 but you have to buy the book for another $90.00 in order to get the certification through Padi. If you don't buy the book from them you don't get the certification." WHAT.... NO... So I called Wallins.......

If we want the certification from Padi we do not need to buy the book, however we would need to "GIVE PADI" $45.00 for the new C card registration...... We are welcome to still come to the class, and learn all about EAN, but we won't be able to use it without forking over substantial additional monies to the very fine people at PADI..... They did offer to refund the money we gave the for the class if we wanted.

So I still would like to borrow a book or two if people would be willing to lend them. And still would be willing to offer a sail on the bay this summer...

I think we are going to take the course with some friends, but not get the certification......

I will not post my feelings about all of this here now, because they are DARK and UGLY!

Guy

:angrymob:

Actually, you got a pretty good deal, even after you factor in the $45 for the cert application. For perspective, I think my Nitrox class cost about $80 tuition, plus ~ $60 for the book and three slates that are basically RDP tables calibrated for EAN percentages 32% and 36% and one other conversion slate. At the time I was required to buy the book and slates. The cert application (PIC envelop) was included in there somewhere I'm pretty sure but maybe it wasn't. In contrast you could get a PADI Nitrox rec cert for a total of $65? Only caution I have is that maybe the PADI elearning module will end up costing something on top of that, I don't know.

$90 for the book/slates sounds like a lot. Did your friend know whether this amount included the cert application?

It's great that you are going to take the course, but since the whole idea of the course is to equip you for enjoying the benefts of diving Nitrox, which requires the certification (to get Nitrox fills), it seems odd that you would do the work and not be able enjoy the reward.

If its true that you wouldn't ever use it, as you say, then maybe taking the class with friends and not getting the cert might be fun and educational. But I don't think you are getting ripped off, though I understand the frustration of learning something costs more than you originally thought.

Wow oly5050user I didn't even know that you could do that till just now when you told me we could...

We signed up at one of the local dive stores at a blow out event (At Wallins, who really are a great shop. I can't blame on them, entirely, the confusion created in what is now an ongoing saga ).

We saw EAN class for $20.00. Thinking; "well at that price why not take it". I don't think we are ever going to use it, but for $20.00 each why not have the ability to use it if we want to.... They did tell us that the books were not included in the class price.

I thought, hell I know a lot of divers, there are some really cool people on Scubaboard.com and maybe I could borrow a book spend a weeknight with some friends and the spouse, and "learn" the nitrox stuff at a class at Wallins. Maybe meet some more cool people to dive with etc.....

I didn't realize that this was a PADI (Put Another Dollar In), scheme to try and market something as inexpensive and the screw you to the wall.

So right after I posted the previous request a friend knocked on the hull and we talked about the upcoming fun (he dives too). I mentioned that I thought that we got a screaming good deal on the class, and apologized for not putting down a $20.00 for him and he could have come with us.... He then said; "Yeah the class is only $20.00 but you have to buy the book for another $90.00 in order to get the certification through Padi. If you don't buy the book from them you don't get the certification." WHAT.... NO... So I called Wallins.......

If we want the certification from Padi we do not need to buy the book, however we would need to "GIVE PADI" $45.00 for the new C card registration...... We are welcome to still come to the class, and learn all about EAN, but we won't be able to use it without forking over substantial additional monies to the very fine people at PADI..... They did offer to refund the money we gave the for the class if we wanted.

So I still would like to borrow a book or two if people would be willing to lend them. And still would be willing to offer a sail on the bay this summer...

I think we are going to take the course with some friends, but not get the certification......

I will not post my feelings about all of this here now, because they are DARK and UGLY!

Guy

:angrymob:

you are not giving the $45. to PADI for a card,you are paying the instructor to get you a card.Padi sees about $15. of that fee to cover the cost of creating a cert card..For a $20. course and $90. for a pack with a text/tables and a video in it that is a GOOD price for a nitrox class.If you choose to do it online then it is $195. that you pay to get the class online.You associate yourself with a LDS when you sign up online for that access to the course.PADI pays the LDS that you aligned yourself with a fee out of that $195.People do the course on line for the convience and instant gratification it offers.So there is a price for that convience as there is for everything else.
Once you complete the course you get a print out with your grades and take that to the facility you aligned up with.They have you do a quick review quiz and the pratical part of the course(takes about 60 to 90 minutes) and submit to PADI for a certification card for you.You should not have to pay anything for this pratical part if you go with the LDS that aligned up with. If you do have to pay they are the ones that are "ripping" you off not PADI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom