Which doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guy Alcala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was a bit unsure whether I should post this here, in the DIR or Hogarthian forums, or in the Tanks, bands and valves forum. But I figure most of our local tech divers follow one or all of these, so decided to try it here.

As many of you know, I plan to go tech so I can dive deep wrecks. I'll be taking Fundies in the not too distant future in a borrowed set of doubles and wing (thanks to Dan Bermingham), but as soon after that as money allows I'll want to buy a set of tanks that are more suitable for doubling than my Asahi 100s. From talking to numerous people and researching, I've narrowed down my choices for my first set of doubles to either HP100s or LP85s. Having perused spec sheets and figured out where I think my diving is likely to go, I've narrowed down my options to 4 different tanks from three manufacturers. In no particular order, they are: Faber LP85; Worthington LP85; PST E7-100; Worthington X7-100.

My only doubles experience to date consists of about 45 minutes spent in a pool with a pair of Faber LP85s, which seemed to trim perfectly, but given my total lack of experience and the lack of weight needed that doesn't necessarily mean much. So, I'd like to hear from those of you who have experience with using one or (preferably) more than one of these tanks doubled, as far as trim, whether you use an Al or S/S BP, and any other good/bad points you've found. For LP tanks, if you know of an East/South Bay (Hayward south, off 880 or 101) or Monterey shop that will routinely do overfills for Nitrox and/or tri-mix, please give that info (via PM if you think they'd prefer not to say so publicly). I only know of two shops in the SF Bay and Monterey areas that do tri-mix: AWS and Bamboo Reef, and AWS isn't convenient for me owing to their hours and location.

Just so you understand where I'm coming from, I plan to use these tanks for local shore and boat diving in Monterey, and probably in SoCal, with the option of diving them wet there if reasonable. I'm 6', 180 lb., and expect to eventually progress to the Tech 2/2+ level or thereabouts, but these tanks only have to be suitable for Tech 1/1+ dives or the non-GUE equivalent, although if they're okay beyond that, terrific. I'm currently +18 lb. buoyancy in my drysuit and single-layer fleece, but for prolonged deco I expect that warmer insulation will increase that to +22 to +24 lb. So I need to have a balanced rig that's -22 to -24 lb. negative at the end of the dive (500 PSI), preferably with some margin to allow me to shift weight for trim. I own a S/S BP, and not having to buy an Al BP at the same time as the tanks would be an advantage, albeit not a requirement.

For the sake of argument, all the above tanks can be assumed to be used with the following nominal equipment and buoyancy:

S/S BP @ -6 lb.; 2 regs, hoses etc. @ -4 lb; bands, bolts and crossbar @ -4 lb.; and can light & 2 back-up lights @ -3 lb.

Total -17 lb.

or

Al BP @ -2 lb.; 2 regs @ hoses @ -4 lb; bands, bolts and crossbar @ -4 lb.; and can light & 2 back-up lights @ -3 lb.

Total -13 lb.

Thanks,

Guy

P.S. For those who're interested, here's the relevant specs, empty weight/tank, and approximate buoyancy (air @ 500 PSI) doubled, and what I think are the relative advantages and disadvantages of the tanks:

Faber LP85 (85 cu. ft. actual), 25.98" x 7.01", 31.2 lb, +2.2 lb.. Total negative buoyancy with standard gear: S/S BP -14.8; Al BP -10.8 lb.

Advantages. Lightest tanks; could be used locally with S/S backplate with lots of weight left over for trim; easy to get full fill; could be used in SoCal with Al BP for wetsuit diving; taller than others so allows more trim shift; less expensive than X7s.

Disadvantages. Odd diameter so bands can only be used for these tanks; likely more subject to external corrosion than hot-dipped glavanized tanks; require overfill to ~3100 PSI to get 100 cu. ft./tank, which many LDS may not be willing to do.

Worthington LP85 (82.9 cu.ft. actual), 24.7" x 7.25", 34.3 lb., -3.8 lb. Total negative buoyancy with standard gear: S/S BP, -20.8 lb. Al BP, -16.8 lb.

Advantages. Can probably be used locally with S/S BP with enough weight left over for trim; standard diameter so bands could also be used on Al 80, HP80, HP100 or HP120 tanks; marginally acceptable for SoCal wetsuit diving with Al BP; easy to get full fills, second tallest tank so can be moved for trim; Hot-dipped galvanized with lifetime warranty against external corrosion; less expensive than Fabers or X7s.

Disadvantages. Heaviest of the four tanks; smallest capacity at working pressure; need overfill to approx. 3200 PSI to get 100 cu.ft., which many LDS won't do.

PST E7-100 (100? cu. ft. actual), 24" x 7.25", 33 lb. (one source claims that includes the valve), -4.2 lb. Total negative buoyancy with S/S BP, -21.2 lb. Al BP, -17.2 lb.

Advantages. Maybe lighter than X7s; can probably be used locally with S/S BP, with enough weight left over for trim; standard bands can be used on variety of tanks; marginally acceptable for SoCal wetsuit diving with Al BP; tied for shortest tank, easy to carry and store; Hot-dipped galvanised; no issues with + ratings or overfills; Used, so may be less expensive.

Disadvantages. Company out of business so only available used; may be more likely to fail hydro than other tanks; may be too short to alter trim much by moving tanks in bands; May have trouble getting full fill.

Worthington X7-100 (99.5 actual), 24" x 7.25", 33 lb., -7.2 lb. Total negative buoyancy with S/S BP -24.2 lb. Al BP -20.2 lb.

Advantages. Hot-dipped galvanised with excellent warranty; standard diameter, so bands can be used with variety of tanks; make good single tanks; no issues with + ratings or overfills; tied for shortest tanks, so easy to store and carry.

Disadvantages. Marginal for using locally with S/S BP, will almost certainly need Al BP; unacceptable for SoCal wetsuit diving; most expensive; May be too short to alter trim much by moving tanks in bands; may have trouble getting full fill.

I'm 6'1" and use Worthington LP85's and they're great. If I need more gas I pump em' up to 3500. LP104's are also really nice tanks if you want the extra gas.

I'm 6'1" and use Worthington LP85's and they're great. If I need more gas I pump em' up to 3500. LP104's are also really nice tanks if you want the extra gas.
:rofl3: Do you own your own compressor or does one of your friends? I do not know a single dive shop around that will overfill that much.

I am happy with my Worthington X7-100's :) If I need MORE gas I pump them up to 4200 psi, giving me roughly 240 CF...oh wait that is a standard fill. FWIW I am 5'11 and about 165lbs.

:rofl3: Do you own your own compressor or does one of your friends? I do not know a single dive shop around that will overfill that much.

I am happy with my Worthington X7-100's :) If I need MORE gas I pump them up to 4200 psi, giving me roughly 240 CF...oh wait that is a standard fill. FWIW I am 5'11 and about 165lbs.

Nope, I've got a homeboy hookup at a local shop that fills 'em up. Sometimes to uncomfortably high numbers north of 3500, that I go home and bleed off a few hundred PSI.

I've done a set of Faber LP85's and a set of HP100's (don't remember the brand or model) I do know that I prefer the the HP tanks of the LP tanks. They tend to be smaller in size :wink: The only down side is that the buoyancy shift between empty vs full is greater.

HP = more CF for same size tank as LP but greater buoyancy swing based on remaining air
LP = more stable buoyancy swing

In the cave diving world, I over come the buoyancy swing by using a drop weight left at my deco stops to compensate and generally I am so weighted by other gear that it isn't an issue anyway. I can speak to the faber's trim being quite well if I remember correctly. But again, trim is really a personal thing. Everyone's body is different. I am 5'11" and weigh 215 pounds and usually dive wet in the north florida caves using a 5MM :)

If this were FL, I could get you hooked up with all the brands you wanted in doubles configs to try out probably. :( Good luck man.

-Mike

I've done a set of Faber LP85's and a set of HP100's (don't remember the brand or model) I do know that I prefer the the HP tanks of the LP tanks. They tend to be smaller in size :wink: The only down side is that the buoyancy shift between empty vs full is greater.

HP = more CF for same size tank as LP but greater buoyancy swing based on remaining air
LP = more stable buoyancy swing

In the cave diving world, I over come the buoyancy swing by using a drop weight left at my deco stops to compensate and generally I am so weighted by other gear that it isn't an issue anyway. I can speak to the faber's trim being quite well if I remember correctly. But again, trim is really a personal thing. Everyone's body is different. I am 5'11" and weigh 215 pounds and usually dive wet in the north florida caves using a 5MM :)

If this were FL, I could get you hooked up with all the brands you wanted in doubles configs to try out probably. :( Good luck man.

-Mike

The buoyancy swing difference between an LP85 and a HP 80 is net ~ 1lb.

I'm not sure what you mean by "drop weights" - As you consume gas and become more buoyant, you then drop weights for even greater buoyancy?

you're right about the swing... I mis-spoke. The older ones had a greater diff.

As far as a drop weight goes, its common practice to take some weight with you and at the beginning of the dive and/or when you place your deco bottles drop the weight off before you descend in to the system. Then on the way back out you pick up your drop weight to offset the difference in gas weight lost and/or buoyancy gained by wetsuit during ascent. The idea is that you drop the weight at the beginning and pick it up at the end :)

No, I believe a drop weight is a weight you drop early in the dive, to be picked up at the end when you are lighter. This avoids the necessity to weight for empty tanks, where you are forced to begin the dive very negative. As my gas planning with thirds never gets me down far enough to worry about it, I have never used drop weights.

I have LP85s which I'm pretty sure are Worthingtons, and HP100s (I'm not sure of the brand, and I'm not home to check). The 100s, full, are heavier than the 85s. The tank dimensions are similar, and they trim out essentially identically (at least I don't notice a difference). I like the 85s for recreational diving in doubles, and use the 100s for T1 dives because I can reliably get another dive "to follow". I know some of the folks in MoCal bring an Al80 full of 32% for that second dive, and were I to do so, I would stick to the 85s.

Back
Top Bottom