Exploring some nearby lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikemill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone interested in exploring some of the lakes in El Dorado and Tahoe National Forests? Could be fun to see what lakes are diveable (vis, traffic, accessibility, etc) and provide an alternative to driving 6 hours (total).

Of course we wouldn't be able to start right away considering that a lot of the roads are still snowed in but I'd like to try and see if there is any interest.

Anyone interested in exploring some of the lakes in El Dorado and Tahoe National Forests? Could be fun to see what lakes are diveable (vis, traffic, accessibility, etc) and provide an alternative to driving 6 hours (total).

Of course we wouldn't be able to start right away considering that a lot of the roads are still snowed in but I'd like to try and see if there is any interest.

I don't know how much work you want to do, but the book "Mountain Lake Diving" (scroll down the page)

Lake Tahoe with SDC

Has reviews of many Sierra lakes. I've used it for several Tahoe and Yosemite area dive sites. I know it covers some lakes on the west side, but don't remember which ones. I was able to have a copy inter-library loaned.

Guy

You mean sugar pine, natoma, and Folsom aren't good enough for you? :)

The old 5th D-X crowd used to hit the lakes... Stumpy Meadows was nice but a bit far thru windy roads... One of the concerns was the access for emergency services.

If you have an incident there how far is help just in case you need it?

I don't know how much work you want to do, but the book "Mountain Lake Diving" (scroll down the page)

Lake Tahoe with SDC

Has reviews of many Sierra lakes. I've used it for several Tahoe and Yosemite area dive sites. I know it covers some lakes on the west side, but don't remember which ones. I was able to have a copy inter-library loaned.

Guy

Count me in. I already own a copy of Mountain Lake Diving. Very mediocre, but better than nothing. Sugar Pine is about as far for me as Monterey so I will ask others to do the recon.

I have dived Dike Eight at Folsom a few times in the summer just to get wet. Lots of tiny shad and a few bass and crayfish.

I actually want to explore sugar pine first since I know it is diveable and I've only seen a little bit of it. Haven't done Natoma yet and Folsom is a giant POS.

This summer we should hit sugarpine again, this time we scooter!

Since you are on topic about Lakes, can anyone state the precautions of diving these locals?

1. Environmental hazards; cold, ice?
2. Dangerous snakes or raccoons?
3. Mean angry Park Rangers?
4. Theft; anti diver vandalism?
5. Legends; dead people grabing my fin while I reach the bottom of the lake?

Thanks,

MG

Don't forget some of those aggressive bass, Mike. Some are just as mean as SHARKS!

Since you are on topic about Lakes, can anyone state the precautions of diving these locals?

1. Environmental hazards; cold, ice?
2. Dangerous snakes or raccoons?
3. Mean angry Park Rangers?
4. Theft; anti diver vandalism?
5. Legends; dead people grabing my fin while I reach the bottom of the lake?

Thanks,

MG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom