Dive Report--Pt. Lobos, May 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zf2nt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
After a fairly miserable weekend of <5' visibility at BW both Saturday and Sunday, I was elated to see the buoy report this morning. Steady NNW winds for the past few days, a sudden drop in the sea surface temperature, and calming seas were all promising omens. But even after I got to Pt. Lobos and studied the water from land I still had no idea what was in store for us.

The short version: we had 60'-80' of visibility in crystal clear blue and COLD water. And that was just going out to HITW/LM and Middle Reef. I'd love to see what it's like out at 3 Sisters or Beto's Reef. With all the sunlight we're getting, this probably won't last long. But for right now, the water in Carmel is spectacular.

Bruce

Thanks for sharing Bruce....

I wanted to dive today and tomorrow, but my suit is still in San Diego, should get it back this week for the weekend diving....

I just hope it's still super cold for the great viz...

Bruce,

Thanks for sharing, and glad that you were able to get out there today! 60'-80' at HITW/LM is spectacular.

Are you diving all this week then?

Bruce,

As always, it was great to see you on Saturday! I'm glad to hear you caught even better viz today than we did over the weekend, given all the talk of 5ft muck earlier in the week :)

Kenn

Was Bruce at Lobos Sat? I didn't see him... Man I'm getting lazy... haven't filed a report in months I think...

speaking of reports. Where's the Team Bunny Video from Sat?

Was Bruce at Lobos Sat? I didn't see him... Man I'm getting lazy... haven't filed a report in months I think...

speaking of reports. Where's the Team Bunny Video from Sat?

Actually, we stopped by Aquarius to get fills before heading to Lobos on Saturday.

The video is on my camera, and the footage looks really nice. My computer is in the Apple Store for a repair.

Sadly, this comes to mind:

1116_540.jpg

Bruce,

Are you diving all this week then?

I wish! Actually, I was out doing a tour. A guy came in with a Master Diver card, sez he's now a DM and a really experienced dry suit diver. He even had a letter from his instructor to prove it and said that in SSI "We don't need no stinkin specialty certifications." So I let him rent a dry suit.

When last seen below the water, he had his feet straight up, both of them blown up like giant balloons, and was trying to pull himself back down a stalk of kelp...which kept breaking on him. He had flooded his mask, and since he wore contacts he had his eyes tightly shut. At least, I think that's what the state of things was. I really couldn't see him very well because he was surrounded by a huge cloud of bubbles as he hyperventilated his air away.

You just have no idea how exciting doing tours can be.

Back
Top Bottom