Folsom Lake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhlee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anybody have photos or video from Folsom Lake? I'm wondering what typical conditions are like there (e.g. visibility). I assume there is not any water movement (surge, etc)? Is this a site used for OW training?

thanks,
-Rob

I believe, Brewski, Jim Ernst and Mike Miller can comment on Folsom... I recall they have dove the lake several times... :popcorn:

Anybody have photos or video from Folsom Lake? I'm wondering what typical conditions are like there (e.g. visibility). I assume there is not any water movement (surge, etc)? Is this a site used for OW training?

thanks,
-Rob

I'm not a fan of Folsom Lake. The vis was "ok" one time and down right scary another time. One spot had a very muddy bottom that made getting in and out difficult (not to mention the hike down from the lot). Another spot it wasn't so bad as the water level was a bit higher and up on the rocky area.

Folsom Lake is used for OW training at times.

I did my (first attempt) at Fundies there a long time ago... And as the (long ago destroyed) video showed there was a significant current that would push our team around and destroy our trim :depressed:

It's been a while since I've dove Folsom but I remember it as challenging. Any small errant fin stroke would kick up the silt and then the cloud would just hang there and not settle. We went on a skills dive one time at Browns ravine and kicked up some silt... took a heading out and back and on our return the silt cloud was still there!

I did my (first attempt) at Fundies there a long time ago... And as the (long ago destroyed) video showed there was a significant current that would push our team around and destroy our trim :depressed:
Sure, blame the current :wink:

It's been a while since I've dove Folsom but I remember it as challenging. Any small errant fin stroke would kick up the silt and then the cloud would just hang there and not settle. We went on a skills dive one time at Browns ravine and kicked up some silt... took a heading out and back and on our return the silt cloud was still there!

Which isn't a horrible thing if you go into an area without any silt kicked up because then you know you don't have anyone to blame except yourself :wink:

Folsom lake is a mud hole unless you're diving off a boat somewhere deep. I've dove Lake Natoma which is just under the dam from Folsom lake and it wasn't great but it was a lot more clear than FL. The only time it's ever been dive-able though was in the early morning before they start increasing the flow. We dove once when the current was running and all we could do is cling to the rocks on the bottom not to be blown down stream.

Ok, thanks everybody. Sounds like a dark silty mudhole... kind of what I expected.

What a bunch of whiners! :D

Its not the place to practice photography but for some of us its close and wet. The low tolerance for poor technique is an excellent test for finning skills and it is a great place to practice navigation.

I like to park in the area by Dyke 8 and walk to the beach to the right of the dyke. The parking area is part of the State Park but lightly or unmonitored.

Back
Top Bottom