Video: Saturday dive to Beto's (5/1/2010)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This weekend, I remembered why I built and maintained my own PCs since I was 5 years old: I just took 6 trips to the Apple Store to take care of some truly mundane troubleshooting for my iMac. Stupid monolithic-gorgeous-industrial-design.

Anyways, it was good because it gave me an opportunity to reflect back on how awesome this last weekend was for diving. We watched the swell model dance around the storm threshold all week, and figured that viz was going to be a churning mess. Even when we arrived at Lobos, our hopes were not high. It wasn't until we ran into divers coming back from their first dive that we learned the viz was currently phenomenal. Our original plan was to putz around the sand channel and perform some skills. On hearing the conditions, we immediately revised our plans, and headed out to Sea Mount for a little ascent practice, followed by a short jaunt around Beto's Reef, and back into shallower water for the rest of our practice.

I'm so glad we made that decision--after an entire winter of relatively poor conditions, it was stunning to see 40-50ft blue water. It may have been the best viz I've seen out at Sea Mount and Betos, and we really got a good look at how these sites are laid out across the landscape (usually they kinda sneak up on you a few feet at a time). The video turned out pretty good because of that, but it was REALLY COLD. My BT read 50 degrees, but I've never really trusted the thermometer on that thing.

[youtubehq]TQ5YFYwSJD0[/youtubehq]

I know there was a big contingent of SoCal folks visiting this weekend. I was totally out of the loop on that one, sorry for not being more social and hanging out, but I'm glad you guys were able to catch the kind of day we always hope for :)

Nice vid Kenn. I don't know how you can last 2 hours in that freezing ocean.

Nice vid Kenn. I don't know how you can last 2 hours in that freezing ocean.

Thanks Maciej! It was REALLY cold on Saturday, wasn't it? I actually called the dive on being cold (the first time in quite a while). It really showed up as I had to image-stabilize nearly every clip when putting together the video--shiver shiver shiver.

It was great to see you (albeit briefly), and I'm glad you were able to get enough stuff together in time to make it up here to dive!

Oh, man, I hope that viz holds to the end of the month! I can remember my last trip there, when Claudette and I did Beto's and had ambient light like your video there. Monterey has no peer when the viz is fantastic!

BTW - Steve looks awesome. GUE instructor quiet and balanced. Good work.

Oh, and 50 degrees being cold? Hrrmph.

Very nice, Kenn! Can't wait for my next dive at Lobos.
What are you feeding those bunnies? Mine used to love red licorice. Coloring is similar to what you were using.

The buns are being fed Craisins (dried cranberries). I'm sure they'd love licorice too, I should pick some up. It'd be like red, candied hay for them.

Thanks Maciej! It was REALLY cold on Saturday, wasn't it? I actually called the dive on being cold (the first time in quite a while). It really showed up as I had to image-stabilize nearly every clip when putting together the video--shiver shiver shiver.

It was great to see you (albeit briefly), and I'm glad you were able to get enough stuff together in time to make it up here to dive!

I had a small leak... but the way I was shivering when I walked out of the water I thought it was a lot worse... I was still shiver after eating lunch despite being in the sun and changing into street clothes

Image stabilizing? Damn, and I thought that you were that smooth. The Flip is hard to shoot without embedded IS.

Back
Top Bottom