Bringing nitrox tanks on liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fobturbo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm set to do my first liveaboard in July on the Peace and I have a question about nitrox tanks. The Peace's website says that it pumps nitrox, and I've been told they carry nitrox 32 only. Recently, some of my dive club buddies have told me that it may not be a good idea for me to bring my nitrox tanks to use as they may not be pumping dry air. And this can be true of all dive boats. The risk for this is supposed to be small though. So I'm wondering how many of you have heard this/pay heed? I've brought my tanks to various dive boats in Monterey and have yet to have issues.

TIA

None of the (remaining) Monterey dive boats pump gas any longer. The Cypress Sea used to, but I never had a problem with their compressor.

These are valid concerns any time you are pumping gas on a boat. The way I see it, you have a couple options:

1) bring your tanks, fill them, and trust their compressor to be dry
2) bring your tanks, fill them, and VIP them right after the trip
3) rent their tanks and let any moisture be their problem

Personally, I like option #2, but it's really up to you in the end.
Alot of times, moisture gets introduced not necessarily because of wet compressor, but because the deckhand forgets to completely blow-dry the valve before hooking up teh fill whip, and then those bits of saltwater end up getting forced into the tank. This is something you can do for yourself before they hook up the whip though.

Then there's option number 4. Have a dedicated oversized tank just for So Cal dive boats.

While I personally haven't had a problem with moisture in my tanks off of any the So Cal boats, they have had problems in the past. It's a filter maintenance issue.

One issue that does come up often is the short fills. If you're bringing your regular HP tank, chances are by the end of the day your fills will be in the 2700 psi range. I bring an HP120 for just this problem, and vis it at the end of lobster season (when I normally dive down south).

The Peace is one of my favorite So Cal boats. You'll have a great time. Their nitrox is blended, so no need for an oxygen cleaned tank. Just bring a big one.

I'm set to do my first liveaboard in July on the Peace and I have a question about nitrox tanks. The Peace's website says that it pumps nitrox, and I've been told they carry nitrox 32 only. Recently, some of my dive club buddies have told me that it may not be a good idea for me to bring my nitrox tanks to use as they may not be pumping dry air. And this can be true of all dive boats. The risk for this is supposed to be small though. So I'm wondering how many of you have heard this/pay heed? I've brought my tanks to various dive boats in Monterey and have yet to have issues.

If your tanks are O2 clean, you can bring them with you, but will need to get the O2 cleaned again when you return.

If your tanks are not O2 clean, you can bring them and not O2 clean them when you return.

However For What It's Worth, I always have the tank guy at the shop pop off the valve and take a look after getting fills anywhere unusual. You never know what they've actually pumped into your tank.

Terry

If your tanks are O2 clean, you can bring them with you, but will need to get the O2 cleaned again when you return.

If your tanks are not O2 clean, you can bring them and not O2 clean them when you return.

However For What It's Worth, I always have the tank guy at the shop pop off the valve and take a look after getting fills anywhere unusual. You never know what they've actually pumped into your tank.

Terry

Agreed. If you are one of those annoying frequenters like me, they probably will have no problem taking a quick peek before your first fill back at home base.

-Mike

What they said! I've always taken my own HP100's, but I've also accumulated a lot of spot rust inside that I know wouldn't have happened if I only had my tanks filled here in Monterey. I just had my tanks tumbled, so the next time I go I think I'll rent (as rhlee suggested) and let them worry about the rust.

Bruce

Thanks for the info folks.

Bruce, the renting of tanks definitely seems the popular route and I may do that for the trip. It's just a bit annoying for me as part of the reason I have my own nitrox tanks is so that I don't have to rent tanks anymore.

I've done it both ways, rented one and brought my own. So far I haven't had a problem using my own on any of the boats I've been on and I've been on the Peace a number of times. I use an HP 80 and they have always managed to fill it fully. I don't bring my O2 clean cylinders though, just regular air even when diving Nitrox.

Yup I only need one tank for the liveaboard. I was thinking of bringing Big Bertha, but she just went through her inspection and with the risk of rust, I'll look for place to rent a HP100 instead of bringing Jr.

Renting of 1 tank, Matt, you only need the one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom