Ben & Ted's (and Max & Elaine's) Excellent Lobos Adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mofongo_max

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My girlfriend Elaine (aka Fuggler on here) and I were lucky enough to accompany Ben (Ben ca) and Ted (not sure of his screen name) at Lobos on Saturday. I don't know that we could have picked a better day to pop our Lobos cherry. Viz was amazing (at least 60+) and the waters were calm calm calm.

First dive, we dropped down practically on top of Hole in the Wall and leisurely made our way towards Sea Mount. I can't describe in words how blown away I was with the clarity of the water and the sheer number of amazing things we saw. Unfortunately, since we're still diving singles and wet, we couldn't hang with the big boys and had to part ways prior to reaching Sea Mount. Ben and Ted carried on as Elaine and I made our way back towards the ramp. It wasn't until we were ready to end the dive that we noticed how cold we were getting. 48 degrees?!? At 38 minutes, I think we were lucky to stay down as long as we did. We were also thankful for the extra long SI, which is what we needed to bring our core temperatures back up... and for me to gain the feeling in my toes again.

Second dive, Peter C joined us and we made our way towards Middle Reef. Ben, Ted and Peter hung in the sand channel to practice some drills as Elaine and I took a tour of the reef. Again, amazing viz and countless things to witness. Definitely day to convince me to start saving for a drysuit. We wanted to head back a little early, as to not induce our mini-hypothermia a second time, but ended up surfacing with the same bottom time as the first dive. Unfortunately, we couldn't hang around much after surfacing, so we could get Elaine's busted strobe to Backscatter before they closed. The guys were exiting the water just as we were leaving. We exclaimed our thanks through the window as we drove off... which I'd like to echo here again. Thanks guys, for helping make today (and Elaine's 100th dive) a truly memorable one!

Video from Middle Reef. I'm still figuring out this new camera set-up, so please excuse the little vignetting from time to time in the upper left corner. Just started messing with video, so no fancy cuts... just an (almost) 4 minute experience of what it was like today. Choose 720p for HD.

I guess my favorite subject for stills were the anemones. Same with the video, shot with a Panasonic Lumix LX3, Inon wide angle lens and only natural light.

4591056212_b5c3862b04.jpg

4591057422_709e103674.jpg

4591056964_18e1f9ddec.jpg

4591058046_e02b764ef3.jpg

4590438181_e863e3b2e2.jpg

4590439823_c035b9e827.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful pics. I really like the ones of them doing the drills and the silioutte with the scooter.

Oh geez...I am busted, caught on camera!

Thanks for the wonderful images! I was at Middle Reef on Thursday. You captured the essence of the place in your video.

Stunning footage and photos! I love how the video is one long tracking shot, it's really really like a tour of the reef!

SB video tip - you can use the tags "youtubehd" instead of "yt" to embed a full-size video in the thread :)

Thanks supersand, Kathy and bumps. Sure wish my new strobes had arrived by then. Would have been great to capture the colors down there even better.

Peter, there was another vid were I captured you, Ben and Ted just finning. But I had to destroy the evidence since it was making me too jealous. No vertical movement as you fin with all that gear; descending like you're hovering spacecraft... Impressive!

Thanks for the tip Gombessa, I rarely post, but I do lurk and I do enjoy your videos a lot.

Peter, there was another vid were I captured you, Ben and Ted just finning. But I had to destroy the evidence since it was making me too jealous. No vertical movement as you fin with all that gear; descending like you're hovering spacecraft... Impressive!

I, too, am jealous of these guys' perfect trim. I was overweighted, embarrassed, and having such a bad trim day and then I watched those three just glide effortlessly. We're going to shoot less and practice more. :(

Ben and Ted, maraming salamat again.

That silhouette with scooter is just absolutely lovely!

There is really no place like Monterey on a good viz day . . .

Wow, great pictures and video. Spectacular viz, glad to see people enjoying it.

Back
Top Bottom