Butterfly House & The Breakwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjerl

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
It was an excellent day to dive the butterfly house for the first time. The vis opened up to about 50' at a depth of 45'. But I must say the the swim out & back through the thickest kelp I've ever been in was an eye opener. You can really see how fatigue and/or panic can get someone into real trouble, real quick there.

After deciding not to fight the kelp on the second dive, we went to the breakwater. We thought it would be nice and relaxing and clear. DOH! Who knew the vis could be 50' in Carmel and only 5' in Monterey.

Butterfly House is hands down one of the best dive sites out there, yesterday's conditions were really nice but I have to agree the kelp is getting thicker and kicking harder. On the way back we try to swim under the kelp all the way to the shore, you can get a bit dizzy from the grass moving, but it's the best way.

We had crazy strong current and big waves last week and three minutes safety stop was tiny bit challenging. Luckily I dove with ScubaBumps :D

I'm glad to come across another Butterfly House diver. It's my favorite spot. Few people seem to go there. It must be all the tales of the steep trail down to the beach. The kelp there is starting to get thick, clogging up the cove. It won't be long before you'll use up half of your air swimming out and in under the stuff.

Butterfly House is my favourite shoredive spot. It is a huge dive site. Hope to join you BH divers one of these days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom