Calm, flat, inviting, deceptive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
These are the words that best describe the Break Water, as I arrived at 7am on Saturday. I wanted to get there early since I wanted good parking and organize for the team.

I was meeting, Matt, Brian, Kristina and Vassili. We were going to be testing a lot of new gear and figured where else can you get best conditions for this, BW was the clear winner.

Gearing up was easy and getting the dive planning in order was clear, Brian decided we would dive around 30+ feet to get in some hoovering skills and practice trim, all were in agreement.

We all entered the most inviting, flat, calm waters I have seen in a long time at the Break Water.

I was diving doubles with Brian and the invitation was so soft, my body felt I was diving singles. I stayed close to Vassili since he was in some new gear, he then followed closely as we made it to our drop site.

We gathered again and Brian let us know, viz looks bad but hopefully at the bottom it will open up. We all made sure if we separate from the group we are to come up after a 1 minute search.

So, I pair up with Vassili and Brian keeps Kristina and Matt. Vassili, is fighting to get down, he is with some thicker undergarment on his new bullet skin from Fusion. Even though he has put on 2 extra lbs he is not dropping, so he inverts and kicks down as I make sure to follow him and not lose his sight.

Brian and I both fired both our torches so we could be located if separation occurred, I could see that my light was breaking through all the scum and darkness pretty good.

I'm dropping alongside Vassili and I can feel my descent, but there is no bottom and it's getting darker and murkier by the second, finally the ground appears, as I try to slow down my descent.

It's 1 foot of viz if that and I feel already I have lost my partner, but he catches glimpse of my light and we are together, after the okay signals we look for the other group and nothing.

As I turn to the left I cannot see Vassili anymore, so I start my search and he taps me on my shoulder, he was slightly above me the whole time.

Okay, I call the dive and tell him it's time to ascend and regroup.

After our 2 minute safety stop we break the surface and there are the other divers waiting for us.

After a quick reunion Brian decides lets get closer to the rocks, so we will have a reference point to follow back to the beach, we all agree.

I suggest this time that Kristina pair up with Vassili and drop together first, so we can follow, since his suit is much more buoyant. They begin their descent and Brian and I follow.

As I try to follow them down, I can only see their bubbles and I fixate to that location as I let out more air to catch them, not a good idea on doubles.

Here they are at the bottom and out of no where comes Guerrero like an anchor, I don't know where that ground came out of, but it was there saying NO PARKING!!!

I immediately, simultaneously inject air to my drysuit and wing, do I stop, yes I do! But not because I injected air, I hit and bounce off the sand, LOL, I haven't done that since my Open Water class. :shocked2:

Kristina, later said? Hey Mike and you are suppose to be our role model for proper descent, it was so funny, hey Kristina, that was a model on how not to do it... :D

Okay so the whole group unites down there at 1 foot of viz and Brian is trying to talk to me with his hands, what the hell is he saying, I see fingers and think he's asking me for gas, but why, I'm on doubles and we are in 20 feet of water?

Later he tells me he was asking me, I see divers 1-3 where is Vassili number 5? Oh, okay so now I get it. :wink:

So back to the story, I see him speaking French and I don't understand what is going on, so I pull out my wetnotes in 1 foot of viz and this is funny.

I write down, where is the wall? As I show it to all the divers, they all simultaneously look at their compasses and then all point forward at the same time to the same place, Oh okay, I figured that but wanted to make sure you all were with me, YEAH RIGHT!!! :rofl3:

I start to lead towards the wall, but the viz is really making it impossible to keep the team together so we unite and tell all divers to ascend.

We regroup at the surface and we all decide to do a surface swim back to shore.

I later try to convince Vassili to go back with me on singles to dial in his suit, he looks at me and says, how about we go eat with the team.:D I think that really means, you are crazy, no way!!!

We have an awesome lunch and talk about the zero viz day, whale snot, won ton soup conditions.

It was so great to be in the water even though viz was bad, nothing like diving in a drysuit that remains dry the entire dive. I came out refreshed and feeling great.

Calm, flat, inviting and yes Break Water can be deceptive...

MG

Last edited:
It was great to formally meet you in person Mike. Some times people like to show others what NOT to do, which is what you wanted to do right? :p I was back over at BW today for some picture taking, and the vis did clear up some, so we had double the amount of yesterday. So it was possible to see a whole person 5' away vs. only being able to see their head or feet but not both as in yesterday :p

BTW, MacAbee viz was a wee bit better than yesterday, but couldn't really see jack. I had to call the dive @45 minutes because I was getting cold! Getting out I could have sworn it felt like I had a leak in my suit I was so cold...BW was another story though. I'll have to check my computer later to find out what the temps were.

Ha! The North Coast comes through with decent vis of over 15' today. I also saw more ab divers with the ultra low tide than I have ever seen and DFG had a roadblock set up to catch poachers and wrong doers. Wonder why there were so many cars parked empty in the parking lot yet the beach was empty? Hmmm...

Peter, we had 25 ft viz at Van Damm, where were you? Yeah, the minus tide really brought out the ab divers.

It was great to formally meet you in person Mike. Some times people like to show others what NOT to do, which is what you wanted to do right? :p I was back over at BW today for some picture taking, and the vis did clear up some, so we had double the amount of yesterday. So it was possible to see a whole person 5' away vs. only being able to see their head or feet but not both as in yesterday :p

BTW, MacAbee viz was a wee bit better than yesterday, but couldn't really see jack. I had to call the dive @45 minutes because I was getting cold! Getting out I could have sworn it felt like I had a leak in my suit I was so cold...BW was another story though. I'll have to check my computer later to find out what the temps were.

Matt,

I'm interested in knowing whether your suit leaked or it was just too darn cold. If it did leak that would explain why you got cold.

As I mentioned earlier, the purpose of me diving rotten conditions was to check the integrity of my suit, since it just came back from DUI. Brandnew neoprene socks that are the correct size for my foot and new rock boots.

I was so warm and comfy in my suit, I didn't want to get out of the wonton soup, I wanted to stay longer, not to mention I use Argon.

I really want to put my suit to the test at Lobos, so many divers are mentioning that they experienced 46 degrees on their computers, with beautiful viz.

Need to go dip into that chilly water and blast the Argon.

I have frozen before at lobos years back but that was in my three piece wetsuit at 48 degrees for about 35 min dive, with gorgeous viz. Never will forget how cold I got, I was shaking all over, it was my 2nd dive that day.

Drysuits are great when they don't leak, my whole world crumbles when I spring a leak, it just destroys the mood and I want to leave and go home and cry. :depressed:

I guess I have become spoiled in my suit, just love the dry feeling of ending the dive and being able to relax on the SI.

Well, let me know what happened to your suit, I am almost certain you got a leak somewhere, but where? That suit is new right?

MG

Mike, I checked my undies after the dives and I was dry, though there was a area near the dump valve that was wet. Not drenched but wet. But other than that I was dry. It's a pretty new suit too-2 years or so. I've been debating about getting it pressure tested here and there

Matt,

I'm interested in knowing whether your suit leaked or it was just too darn cold. If it did leak that would explain why you got cold.

As I mentioned earlier, the purpose of me diving rotten conditions was to check the integrity of my suit, since it just came back from DUI. Brandnew neoprene socks that are the correct size for my foot and new rock boots.

I was so warm and comfy in my suit, I didn't want to get out of the wonton soup, I wanted to stay longer, not to mention I use Argon.

I really want to put my suit to the test at Lobos, so many divers are mentioning that they experienced 46 degrees on their computers, with beautiful viz.

Need to go dip into that chilly water and blast the Argon.

I have frozen before at lobos years back but that was in my three piece wetsuit at 48 degrees for about 35 min dive, with gorgeous viz. Never will forget how cold I got, I was shaking all over, it was my 2nd dive that day.

Drysuits are great when they don't leak, my whole world crumbles when I spring a leak, it just destroys the mood and I want to leave and go home and cry. :depressed:

I guess I have become spoiled in my suit, just love the dry feeling of ending the dive and being able to relax on the SI.

Well, let me know what happened to your suit, I am almost certain you got a leak somewhere, but where? That suit is new right?

MG

Thanks Mike for the report.

I always learn something from every dive. Patience, good buddy skills, communication, when to call a dive.

Diving in zero vis is quite an experience. It teaches me to stay calm, think and act thoughtfully. I always carry a light and depend on my compass.

I dove Monastery South on Sunday. It was great.

Does anybody know why the water temp is 46 degrees now? I saw Steve, August and Ken there and they thought it was cold too.

Matt,

It's not uncommon for the dump valve on your suit to be a little wet after the dive. I have noticed that I get a little trickle in there if the suit is completely purged of air as I descend.

But as I add air, the water doesn't continue to travel inward, it stays out. I have heard of other divers mentioning the same thing.

Boogie did you get really cold on your dives? How long were you under and for how long? Intersting that Ken and his gang reported cold waters as well, but they stay in much longer than others because of doubles.

I have yet to stay a super long dive and get cold, but I haven't had that opportunity since I'm just learning to dive my doubles.

I haven't checked my computer to see how cold it was at the BW but I believe it was warm compared to the Lobos divers.

I can handle cold as long as it's not wet cold, but a drysuit cold.

Well temps between MacAbee and BW were more or less the same 52-54 degrees. BW I have down 40 minutes vs. 45 minutes @MacAbee. I will say that we did a lot more moving @BW than MacAbee which could have contributed to me getting cold.

As far as a little moisture goes, my tshirt that I was wearing under my undies was wet, only in the the area near the dump valve. My drysuit instructor has told me in the past to not open the valve all the way and have it one or two clicks off to lessen the case of water flowing in...

Thanks Mike for the report.

I always learn something from every dive. Patience, good buddy skills, communication, when to call a dive.

Diving in zero vis is quite an experience. It teaches me to stay calm, think and act thoughtfully. I always carry a light and depend on my compass.

I dove Monastery South on Sunday. It was great.

Does anybody know why the water temp is 46 degrees now? I saw Steve, August and Ken there and they thought it was cold too.

Every spring, usually starting around late March or early April, there's an upwelling that brings deep, cold water out of the Monterey Canyon. This brings good vis with it, but the water temp drops well below 50 deg. Temps will warm up gradually over the summer, normally peaking around September or October IIRR, then gradually decreasing over the winter until the next upwelling. This past winter was kind of strange, maybe due to El Nino, as the temp at depth stayed very stable and quite warm (53 deg.) for months.

Edit: Just found this - http://er.jsc.nasa.gov/seh/Ocean_Planet/activities/ts2siac6.pdf

Guy

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom