I didn't dive, but I have video of one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Weekend conditions were looking placid, so we made some last-minute plan changes and headed to Monastery instead of BW. We were stymied at N. Monastery by a monstrous stream that had to be two, maybe even three feet across, and over 6 inches deep at the middle, blocking our way to the beach, so instead of engineering a solution to such an insurmountable problem we relocated to S. Monastery.

There, we geared up and proceeded to perish as we trudged across the sand and over the berm in full gear. We decided to kick out really far on the surface, but on descent I had some kind of sinus blockage and couldn't get below 20ft, so we just did a few drills and headed back to shore (regretting the decision to kick out so far in the first place). Steve offered to take the camera, so I got out of the water and they headed back for a glorious dive. I took a nap in the truck and gorged myself on the snacks that were meant to be saved until the end of the dive. Turns out it was a beautiful ~40-50ft of viz (obscured by huge swarms of mysid shrimp at the bottom of the water column) but 46F temps...ouch. At 20ft, it was a fairly warm 50F and you could really see mixing of the hot/cold thermocline throughout the water column.

I know my OW class doesn't want me to log a dive that's less than 20 min, but I'm doing it anyways, cause anything that requires me to wash my gear as if I actually dived is enough to fill up a spot in the logbook :wink:

[youtubehq]wgbv0aDl9_4[/youtubehq]

I saw bunnies!

Bummer about not being able to clear. I have never had it bad enough to not dive. It can get pretty painful though...

Conditions looked great!

Sure sounds like a dangerous stream to cross. I imagine something that flows 6 inches deep could suck you right out into the ocean. We wouldn't want that to happen when wearing scuba gear.

Is that the music from Bill and Ted's Excellent (or is it Bogus) Adventure?

Bummer about the sinus

I think I would log it.

Erik

Bummer about not being able to clear. I have never had it bad enough to not dive. It can get pretty painful though...

Bummer about the sinus

Yeah, it was weird. I could clear my ears just fine, but my cheek just below my left eye felt like it was going to implode. I had some minor allergies the day before, but had no indication this would happen.

Is that the music from Bill and Ted's Excellent (or is it Bogus) Adventure?

It's actually funtwo's rendition of Canon Rock, an old meme from several years ago (I think it was written up in NYT) :)

It's actually funtwo's rendition of Canon Rock, an old meme from several years ago (I think it was written up in NYT) :)

Ahh yes I see it now on the YouTube.

Smooth camera operation by the way.

Are those bunnies eating peanut butter or something? Whatever it is, it must be really yummy, as they're really licking their lips like crazy.

Looks like a good viz day. I hope it holds for two more weeks!

You know, I can't help it; I look at divers like those guys and I wish everybody who dives could be that stable and that comfortable in the water. It's so much FUN to dive that way.

Sure, why not log the dive – bet you have plenty of long BT's to balance the one little short dive
;-). Glad you were at least able to get wet and perhaps peek down into the vis a bit ;-).

Last edited:
Very nice video. Sorry to hear that you weren't able to drop down and join the rest of your team. But that descent was looking really nice :wink:

Hey Kenn,

I dove Lobos not too long ago and had allergies really bad. I loaded up with the wrong sinus medicine and then got Sudafed.

I tried diving while loaded up on these pills, I could clear some what, but couldn't hear both ears pop like I usually do.

I had mucos all over my mask and scrubbed the dive early, and dive two was even shorter as I couldn't focus on diving because of the constant drainage.

Sorry for being graphic, I just want you to know you made the right call even though the viz was incredible, I do hope you enjoyed the snacks while the team explored the endless beauty.

What kind of snacks were they?

MG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom