Where to rent a Fusion for Friday.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eric gundrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
For the first time since I did Essentials in December I have a chance to dive. (It's been a crazy six months.) I'll be getting wet at Lobos on Friday with my regular buddy.

With all the recent talk of cold temps I had planned to rent a Fusion drysuit to help ensure I get the most out of the dive. Unfortunately my regular source is having a drysuit cert class this weekend and has no suits for rent. I've resigned myself to finding other ways to fight the cold.

Does anyone know where I might rent a Fusion for Friday?

Also, if anyone plans to dive Lobos on Friday, please drop me a note so we can say hello. :)

Thanks...eric

Most places require a person to have a drysuit cert in order to rent suits. If the place knows you then you might be okay. I know the shop Mike G. works at rents them. Bamboo Reef also rents Fusions. Not sure who else but there are probably other shops.

Most places require a person to have a drysuit cert in order to rent suits. If the place knows you then you might be okay. I know the shop Mike G. works at rents them. Bamboo Reef also rents Fusions. Not sure who else but there are probably other shops.

Oh, I have the c-card. Aquatic Discovery (aka "Mike G's shop" :wink: ) has none available for Friday.

I'll call Bamboo Reef tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

Wallin's in San Carlos is going to be converting some of their rental fleet to fusions. I believe they might already have some in stock, so it might be worth calling and checking there.

We did Lobos yesterday and it was much warmer than last week. We got around 45F last week, I got 50F yesterday (in 80FT depth) :cool2:

just a question (probably for different forum) - why do you want to rent Fusion? When I've been renting dry suits here and there, my best experience was with DUI because (and this could be Sierra Dive Center in Reno specialty) they did the fitting separately for the suit and seals and then put them together so I did not get really tight or loose seals because the shop has only 3 suits in medium size and did not want to cut the rings.

Eric: Glad you're going to make it out to Lobos tomorrow. Have a great time, and I look forward to the report.

Farty: Renting a Fusion is the best way to insure a well fitting rental drysuit. If you rent a traditional suit, you're limited to stock sizes. So if you're a Large Short and not a Large, then the suit won't fit as well. By design, the Fusion can be more accommodating to different sizes.

Eric: Glad you're going to make it out to Lobos tomorrow. Have a great time, and I look forward to the report.

Farty: Renting a Fusion is the best way to insure a well fitting rental drysuit. If you rent a traditional suit, you're limited to stock sizes. So if you're a Large Short and not a Large, then the suit won't fit as well. By design, the Fusion can be more accommodating to different sizes.

Can Fusion be custom fitted around neck (without cutting, glueying, ...)? My biggest problem was always too tight neck on rental dry suits. With DUI suit I was renting, they simply put neck seal which fit the best (they had like 10 neck seals and picked one).

Can Fusion be custom fitted around neck (without cutting, glueying, ...)? My biggest problem was always too tight neck on rental dry suits. With DUI suit I was renting, they simply put neck seal which fit the best (they had like 10 neck seals and picked one).

I have the same problem. I have a really muscular neck and wrists so rentals are always a bit uncomfortable for me.

Probably I could go with a different brand drysuit. I happen to know and like the Fusion. My cert was in something else where I had customizable seals, but the rest was just a large bag. Even with the customized seals, it leaked more than the Fusion I used for post cert dives. Probably I would be smarter to try some other suits and see how they compare, but not tomorrow.

I phoned Bamboo Reef this morning. They are happy to rent me a Fusion, but they don't open till 9:00 AM. They also charge much more than I would pay Aquatic Discovery, but I know BR is in line with most other shops.

Based on Farty's report of 50F, I'm planning to dive wet. I'm also planning to do everything I can think of to prepare for 46F. As this will be my first dive in 6 months, I want it to be as pleasant as I can make it. :D

Glad you're going to make it out to Lobos tomorrow. Have a great time, and I look forward to the report..

Don, thanks for the encouragement. I've really missed diving these past six months. I am looking forward to dusting off some of those skills you taught me and seeing how well they stuck. (I've been reviewing the course PDFs.) Hopefully I'll be able to join you in another class sometime this summer. I hope all goes well for you this weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom