Tried a BP/W last night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pacificgal

Rest in Peace...
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In the pool with Don and Matt. Once I got over the whole face plant in the water thing, wishing I had a snorkle but grateful my backup was under my chin, let a bit of air out of it and rested on my back, it was OK.
Not planning on rushing out and getting one, but I think after this weekend I may be sold on it. I'll let you know how it goes!

I keep thinking that I should try to borrow my instructor's in the pool sometime.

Last night was an interesting experience for me too. With full gear on, I usually don't have problems faceplanting when the bladder is fully inflated. Last night I was. I can't wait to get back in w/my drysuit tonight though. Of course with my luck, tonight they will have the pool heated.

I brought my old wetsuit for tonight, I don't want to start class Saturday with a wet wetsuit. One of the new benefits to having 2 wetsuits, I can alternate to get the driest one.

The face-plant thing is a symptom of divers who were trained to air up thier poodel jacket all the way. Good to hear you got that problem taken care of.

Did you get to spend much time underwater with it? What were your thoughts on fit and feel? How did the trim feel?

Hi Firediver.
I spent a couple hours underwater with it. Trim: it seemed stable, more so than having air up front too, as with the BCD. As far as fit is concerned, once I got used to having a crotch strap, I like the feeling that it was tightly secured to me, without restricting my movement, I also appreciated that there was nothing across my chest. It seems like the best idea for big-chested women, for sure, you have nothing that presses against your chest.
The ability to dip from side to side without the tank slipping right to left was nice too, very secure. Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I like it.

The crotch strap isn't a must-have. A lot of divers don't use one. The only time I know for sure you need one is when scootering. You could try it both ways, with and without. The main thing it will do is prevent the rig from riding up on you when floating at the surface. If you don't notice this happening, you can remove the strap.

Back
Top Bottom