Visiting San Francisco - Questions about diving Monterey Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GaryBDavis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys, I'll be in Concord the week of 6/21 on business and thought I might lug my gear along for a dive in Monterey. I need some helpfull tips from the locals.

My plan is to fly in Saturday evening, maybe get a two tank dive in on Sunday via a day charter and then it's off to work on Monday.

Can I dive this time of year with a 5 mil wetsuit by perhaps adding a 5 mil hood/vest? I'm not dry suit certified. I don't what to expect for water temps, so you guys let me know if that should be sufficient. I don't get chilled too easy, but I hear the Pacific is pretty darn cold.

Since I'll be flying in, I won't be able to bring tanks or weights so is there a Sunday charter that you can recommend that will provide tanks and weights for a resonable fee? I guess I'll need a charter recommendation too.

One of the recommendations I have so far is Silver Prince.

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks,
Gary

Gary,

I can't speak for the 5 mil + 5 mill hood/vest, but the boats in Monterey will have air tanks for you. Depending on which one you're going with, they might have al80's or steel lp 80's. Best to check with the charter, sometimes you can request for certain tanks and/or nitrox. As far as Silver Prince goes, hit up Mike Guerro (sp?) for more info.

Hi Gary. By the latter part of June our water temps will probably be back up around the low 50s, after a couple of months in the mid 40s (April/May). A 5mm jumpsuit, even with a hooded vest would not be enough for me or for most people I know. (I have heard of a guy who dives Monterey in a 5mm but have never actually seen that happen). Minimum I could recommend would be a 7mm jumpsuit and a 7/3mm hooded vest, 6mm booties and 4mm gloves. Lots of people up here dive two-piece farmer john suits, but I think they require more lead than they are worth.

Local charters will usually supply tanks. Weights I'm not sure, may have to rent lead locally.
Here's a URL with links to Monterey charters

California Dive Boats : The Official Page

another good page of information for visitors is here

http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/ba_diving/newmontereydiver.html

The water temps are going to be from 46-50 degrees. Most will be in a 7mm with a hooded vest or drysuits.

Can't recommend boats as I have never had a good day of diving off a charter boat yet!

Gary, I dive wet and I couldn't imagine diving in a 5mm. I dive a 7mm with a 5/3mm hooded vest and am good for 50 minutes or so with 5 mm gloves and boots.
I don't want to dissuede you from diving while you're here, but maybe you can rent a thicker suit so you can do it comfortably? It IS worth it!

I think I'll do a guided two tank shore dive from one of the local dive shops. I'll rent a wetsuit, tank and weights but bring the rest of my gear. Looks like the guided dive would be about $85 plus some rental fees. I've heard a lot about this area and the kelp forrest, so I'm looking forward to it.

I'm sure you'll be in good hands. I'll keep my fingers crossed for some great conditions for you!

Hi - I've done this a few times - snuck in a dive day on a work trip. I recently used Sanctuary Charters for some boat dives and was quite happy with them. However, the best dives I've had have been beach dives at Point Lobos, which requires reservations well in advance for weekend dives (and you have to have a buddy).

The first time I went diving at Monterey, I had very little experience in cold and lower vis so I hired a guide through a local dive shop and that turned out quite well.

As others have said, you'll want a 7 mm wetsuit, hood, and gloves, but several shops rent them.

Back
Top Bottom